This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Around 2007, what was the internet catastrophe being predicted?
06-23-2014, 03:22 AM
Around 2007, what was the internet catastrophe being predicted?
I'm very patchy on details -- I'm just hoping somebody will remember reading the same thing and provide additional details.

Several years (my best guess is 2007), I read a series of articles that predicted major troubles for the internet. From what I can remember, the rationale was that there was a surplus of internet infrastructure built around the dot-com bubble in 2001, and that surplus was quickly being used up. Thus the growing bandwidth needs of the internet would clash with its inadequate infrastructure and cause major troubles (outages, slowness, massive price increases, etc.) from which we might never recover.

Looking back on it, it all seems a bit silly, but it was being pushed by people who were labeled "experts" (though I remember wondering what justified that title). I remember specifically these appearing on the BBC news website, but I don't think it was limited to this.
Found it!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/cl...756899.stm

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-23-2014, 03:27 AM

i think they are worried about ipv4 address are being used up because ipv6 does not connect to ipv4 , (ipv6 itself uses ipv4 address for connecting to another ipv4 ) . to resolve this every computer in this world should change to ipv6.

ipv4- 32bit - total computers = 4294967296 computers = 4.2 billion
ipv6-128bit-total computers=biggggggggggggggg = 16.8 billions

population of earth is 7.046 billion !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! , this will definitely answer your question because 4 vs 7
which is big ? earth or ipv4

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply