This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Does an email address apply to a computer or an internet connection?
06-24-2014, 05:11 AM
Does an email address apply to a computer or an internet connection?
I am using a wireless internet connection and If I already have an email address on one computer when I create one on another using the same connection will I lose the old email or will it be seperate on each computer? (using outlook express/windows mail- an Xtra email address)

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-24-2014, 05:18 AM

I dont really get what your asking here, but I'll take a wild stab at answering it...

the e-mail address supplied by your ISP is specific to your INTERNET connection, not your computer, there is no e-mail address that is JUST FOR one computer,

I have my e-mails setup on 4 computers, the only problem is, is that when one computer receives the e-mail, the other computers dont get it....

Ads

06-24-2014, 05:29 AM

Your email address applies to an internet connection and not to a computer.
06-24-2014, 05:42 AM

email is sent to a user @ a domain, such as Luna123@comcast.net. The domain mail server gets it and holds it until it is requested by your computer, using the credentials set up in Windows Mail or Outlook Express. The Windows Mail setup asks for the mail server name, and your login name/email, and eventually your password.

Only then, it lets you read the email on your computer. If you set your PC to keep the emails on the server instead of deleting them, you can go to another computer and read them. Most people have it set to the default, which is "delete from server" when retrieved. So then those emails are not available from a new computer unless you copy them over.

So, it's not the connection, as in wireless network, that matters. It's the computer that sends the authenticated request that gets the mail.

This does not apply to webmail, the way most yahoo or gmail people get their mail. Those emails are kept on the webmail servers and you can get to them wherever you have Internet access.

And of course, there are a million possibilities of different server configurations, so not everything here applies to everyone! Sorry for the long answer. Good luck figuring it out...