This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What's the meaning behind the song of Disney's movie "Frozen, Let It Go"?
06-24-2014, 11:19 AM
What's the meaning behind the song of Disney's movie "Frozen, Let It Go"?
I heard people talking about it and decided to look it up. As I watched the performance and listened to the lyrics I was kind of shocked and confused. The song seems catchy but the way the lyrics and scenes go together I don't I agree with it all the way.

This Elsa character chose to hide her self away from the world because of her fear of hurting people and her parents did what they could to help her because they loved her, and here they ended up dying (Why do parents or in most cases mothers, end up dying in Disney's movies?) Here's what trouble's me the most, during the song she instantly threw away the crown her parents gave her saying the past is in the past, does this mean everything her parents tried to do for her was all just bulls*** and she didn't care?

Also the way she goes from this nice looking girl to some kind of stripper wearing a bunch of makeup walking towards the balcony with a part of her leg showing in a skin tight dress? If you asked me I thought it would've been the other way around where she would have the dress wearing the makeup and as she sang the song she would have washed away the makeup and replaced this dress with the clothes she was wearing before.... Then she could say That perfect girl is gone.

There was more but can't explain it. Is there a message behind this? Don't rant negatively if your just a fan of the movie, I think the movie is fine except for the song an wish the movie was more... well more. What're your opinions thank you =)

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-24-2014, 11:25 AM

Well i think she was tired of hiding from the world and just wanted to be her own person so she wanted to start her own life and she didnt want the past to be involved

Ads

06-24-2014, 11:38 AM

I'm going to start by saying this isn't intended to be a rant and I don't think it came off that way, but just in case. I'm not even that big a fan of the movie. I think it's cute and fairly mediocre at best with some beautiful animation.

That being said I'd like to respond to a few things you mentioned

Her parents didn't give her the crown. Confused It was part of the coronation. Given her mother likely had her own crown with her when she died, it seems unlikely the crown she had held any sentimental value. And even if it did, it represented the part of her life that she had agonized over-- as long as she held the crown, she was in the spotlight. People were looking to her, watching her, looking for imperfections, waiting for her to screw up. At least, that's how she was taught. It wasn't about throwing away everything of her parents, it was about feeling a certain amount of freedom for the first time in her life. The crown was not a representation of her family (at least in my opinion).

She's also wearing the exact same amount of make up pre and post song.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140...nation.jpg

My guess would be you just notice it more due to the fact that she has no other coloration in her outfit to draw attention away from it. That, and her skin is paler.

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Elsa_the_Sn...-magic.jpg

Her dresses are also equally tight. The only real differences (aside from color) are the slit up the thigh, as well as that it does not cover her chest and neck like the first one did.

I do get where you're coming from on that point, although I didn't find her post-coronation look that bad.

One very important thing you need to know about Elsa is that her character was, originally, supposed to be an antagonist. She was supposed to take the part the snow queen from hans Christian Anderson's tale of the same name. Disney CHANGED her into a protagonist after seeing the lyrics to the very song you're asking about. I don't know how far along in her character design or the overall plot they were before they made the switch, but that might explain her appearance a little bit better to you.

Honestly, I found most of the movie fairly ridiculous and contradictory before I learned that Elsa was originally meant to be evil. It kind of was an epiphany moment because it was like all of a sudden "all those plotholes make MUCH more sense now!"

But yeah, at the end of the day, the song is simply meant to be a song about liberation.

It's meant to be saying that, instead of stressing and agonizing over the things that we think people might judge us for, turn them into an asset and learn to love and be happy with who you are.
06-24-2014, 11:45 AM

Yeah I think the song is all about standing up to what you believe in and when Elsa says" the past is in the past" she meant that she isn't afraid of people think of her and that is a very strong independant woman but yeah I mean how the hell can she create a dress with fucking ice,I was like seriously Disney WHY is she wearing a sexy light blue dress for with purple eyeshadow and her peroxide hair braided. She sorta reminds me of Meg from Hercules cause she's feisty and stubborn.