This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My mac got hacked through tor?
11-09-2012, 08:53 AM
My mac got hacked through tor?
I left my macbook pro 2012 on overnight with tor running as a relay for people who want to browse anonymously. I woke up and didn't check it, but when i did check it there had been changes made. My profile picture, my desktop background and username. I don't know about anything else yet, i haven't checked. Also my twitter and Facebook accounts are on autofill so they've been accessed and messed with. There could be a lot more damage that i don't know about yet, but can anyone tell me if it is possible it was through tor, or if there's a way to secure everything so it doesn't happen again? I thought macs were meant to be secure?
I thought relaying was secure though? How did people use it to get in? And why? I was trying to be nice. I didnt think there was a risk?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 09:01 AM

Macs have been hit pretty hard by viruses recently, this is because Mac owners think they don't have to install protection on their computer, so hackers take advantage of the situation.

In Q2 of 2012, the Flashback malware infected 10% of Macs,

Ads

Macs are secure. Unfortunately any idiot can buy one. You left your front door wide open with a welcome note pinned to it and now you are surprised people have come in and messed with your stuff.

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor...alSecurity

As Duncan said, it was very foolish of you to open up your personal laptop that way. The fact it is a Mac, Windows or Linux device makes no difference.

Your best option now is to first of all disconnect it from the network and reinstall a fresh copy of the OS, then restore all your private files from your backups. Hopefully you did not have your backup disk connected all the time, otherwise that may have been compromised too.

As to make sure this does not happen again, it is simple: stop doing what you did.

Macs are far from secure, but it is hilarious to watch you Mactards get fücked over and over. To actually be helpful for once, no, its not safe, a crafty person can use it to get in.

The fact that you believe Tor is used for anonymity is hilarious. Its used by criminals and Chinks. Plus any Unix Box can be rooted, just as any Windows system can get infected.