This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My mom wants my password to facebook?
11-09-2012, 09:00 AM
My mom wants my password to facebook?
So I'm 13 yr old girl. And my parents want my password to my facebook. I feel like its an invasion of privacy, and they should not force their child to give their password. Do u agree with this? Should I have to give my password to my parents? I feel like it should be illegal to demand your childs password to facebook. Because its invading their personal life and privacy.. do u agree with this? Should I give my password to my parents?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 09:08 AM

Wow that's funny. Yeah, your parents should be allowed your password for every social media sight you are a part of. I mean, if you have nothing to hide from them, it shouldn't be a problem? You're 13 years old! You are their responsibility & they care about you. Sounds like you don't talk to them enough about what's up with you if they feel the need to look at what you are up to on the internet. Have you given them a reason to not trust you? At age 13 you are lucky your parents let you use facebook.

@Pyronix - I don't think you should be suggesting ways to a 13 year old to lie to their parents. A 13 year old keeping secrets from their parents causes so much stress for a 13 year old, it is hardly worth it. It could even cause anxiety/panic attacks. I do not suggest creating an alternate facebook account, it's a bad idea. If you parents find out about it, which they will -- They will probably just not allow you to use the internet period & wont trust you as much as you want. To get what you really want, which is your parents trust... Just be open with them, don't ruin the relationship you have with your parents for freakin 'facebook'..

Ads

I personally say no, because yes, it is an invasion of your privacy. Although, if they want to see what you post, then you should at least say that they're allowed to look at your Facebook page now and then so they don't worry too much. If they take away your Facebook because you wont give them your password, then try to explain to them why you don't want them to have your password and then re-explain to them that they, at any time they think it's necessary, are allowed to look at your Facebook page. Also, a tip: Be nice and on good behaviour on the day/on the days surrounding when you do this, it will help.

Hi, I do agree with you that this is an invasion of privacy. Facebook actually disallowed companies to ask for prospective applicants' facebook passwords. Right now, there is no law that bans parents to ask for their kid's Facebook password, and it's not as if you can sue your folks because they're forcing you to give your facebook password to them.

The flipside to this is since they're your parents, they do have control to your internet connection and not giving them your facebook password might make them take away this privilege from you. I do have a suggestion but it's a little bit tricky.

Give them the facebook password of your account but create a new separate facebook account which you will actually really use instead of the other one. Of course just make sure you don't get caught using this other account.

I think its a violation of privacy personally. They are your parents and they are only trying to keep an eye on you and protect you. This day and age 13 year olds and younger are being victims of digital seduction. I can see why they want to keep an eye on their young daughter.

It's far from illegal. If you are truly 13 your parents have control over these things until 18.
Try this though: Give them your current facebook password, then make another account where you can have private conversations. Make sure to still use the account you give your parents, you have to make them believe it's your only account.

P.S
Don't resist your parents wishes too much, it will only make living with them harder.

They are in charge of your care and until you are 15 if you are living under their roof they can request your passwords. They are allowed to check your safety. Stop doing things you don't want your parents to know about on a social networking site and then handing it over won't be an issue, will it?

Honey, you are 13 years old, the only way this become an invasion of privacy is when you become independent, while you are still under their roof, you should pay attention to your parent. After all, they are not going to be around forever.
If you have nothing to hide, then, why don't you want to give them your password? Well, it's your choice sweetheart. But think of the trust that might gain in the future with your parents. Best of luck.

I think it is wrong to ask password like this it is like interrupting into ones life....
Smile

I'm an adult & I don't have a 13yr old,so I'm trying to think about this as though I did-your parents probably are just trying to look out for you,but I do agree w/you that it's an invasion of privacy..I think if I had a kid your age,the only reason I could see asking for their password was if I somehow knew that they were doing something potentially dangerous,like chatting w/adult men that could be total pervs(I don't mean like,say you posted a pic of your dog or something & they comment,'oh,that's nice',& you responded w/'thanks',& that's it,I mean like,chatting for real or messaging back & forth),or posting provocative photos or something along those lines.But if they have no reason to suspect or think that you're doing anything that could lead to potential trouble,I don't think it's quite fair to demand your password-like,even if you're not posting anything wrong or that could get you into trouble,you still really don't want your mom reading about say,a guy you like,or something embarrassing that happened,& it would suck for you to feel you had to censor yourself on facebook,because it should be a place where you should be able to feel free to express yourself & talk w/your friends.Maybe you could ask them what reasons they have for wanting to do this,& if it's out of fear of something happening to you,you could calmly assure them that you're very careful about who you accept & send friend requests too,& don't put anything really personal on there,like where you live or your school.And also,maybe you mention that when they were 13,there were probably things they wanted to talk about w/their friends that they really didn't want to talk to their parents about,not bad stuff,but stuff that no one would want to talk to their parents about.I know parents always say,'Oh,but you can talk to me about anything!',but lets say that it was about I dunno,like,something embarrassing happened in front of your crush or something like that.When they were 13,would they have really discussed that w/their parents?Of course not.Maybe you could try to come up w/a compromise,like you'll agree to show them your page every once in awhile,not to read everything,but just to briefly look at it so they can see that you're not doing anything that could lead to trouble,& tell them that you're old enough to exercise good judgement on the internet,& that you're mature enough that you won't take advantage of their trust.Unfortunately,since they're the parents they can do whatever they want,but it's at least worth a try talking to them or at least trying to come up w/a compromise you both can agree on.Good Luck