This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Okay, this is just plain DISGUSTING! Adoption ads on Facebook?
11-09-2012, 09:01 AM
Okay, this is just plain DISGUSTING! Adoption ads on Facebook?
Okay, so I was logging on to Facebook and in the sides you know how it has ads and stuff? Well, they had like two adoption ones. It was Hi I'm ___ and ___, been married for __ years and are looking for a child to adopt.

That is so gross! I mean, I've heard of those ads but I'd never seen them until today. Is that even legal? I mean, what is this teaching the public? It's like saying people have no worth and we can just post up an ad like we do for a washing machine, people aren't products. You can't just buy them or anything!

How is this even legal?
Skadoctor1: Your answer tells me that you have little knowledge on the subject of adoption.

Whats absurd is people thinking that just because they conceived the child it is 'their property' --- Um, I hate to burst your bubble, but it's their child.

Its not illegal to post an ad saying you would like to adopt--- What do you think about Craigslist ads, it's the same thing. It makes children seem like items. That's not right.

If you had ANY clue how difficult it is to adopt a child in the US thats caucasion--- Well, Caucasian is spelled with an a, and there is something called US Foster Care, there are TONS of children. Okay? And it's free.
Alen: When you post ads you are asking for a baby, there are plenty of people who want a baby. When you post ads you don't get foster children. It's the foster kids that need to get adopted.
Monkeykitty: I can't believe it's within the rules, there needs to be stricter regulations, I just can't believe this!!!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 09:09 AM

I haven;t seen ads like this, but I do know that when people want a baby and can't have one naturally it can turn into a very deep need, bordering on complete obsession sometimes, and it's like nothing else matters.

Ads

That's Just Plain DISGUSTING! People are not things you BUY. This is aabsolutley ridiculous and you should email the facebook people and report the problem because that is just plain wrong.

If you had ANY clue how difficult it is to adopt a child in the US thats caucasion, maybe you wouldnt be so closed minded. When people have difficulty getting pregnant or maintaining pregnancy they some times get a little desperate. IF THEY CAN AFFORD THE AD, its their RIGHT TO BUY THE AD.
Its not illegal to post an ad saying you would like to adopt, especially since SO many illegitamite kids are made by teens who should never have gotten pregnant to begin with...
Whats absurd is people thinking that just because they conceived the child it is 'their property' vs. thinking whats in the best interest of the child as in: if they cant support them BY THEMSELVES and off gov. aid, not deciding adoption is a better option.

While Facebook may not be the most appropriate or worthwhile place to advertise the desire to adopt, I don't find it disgusting at all. These couples want children so badly that they are willing to use any outlet to be heard. I feel sorry for them and wish them all the best.

Edit: You make it sound like these people offered a dollar amount for a child. It is illegal to buy children, but adoption ads are not illegal. You'll find sites all over the internet full of these ads. If you check the classifieds of your local newspaper, you're sure to find some there too. It's completely obvious why ads for children on craigslist would not be acceptable. Craiglist is a site for purchasing goods. Facebook, on the other hand, is a social networking site. So, while I would never post such an ad there, it is slightly more acceptable.

oh my god that's not eeww! god. some people have shit childhood and all that and they'd like to get adopted. and people that do want a child... it's none of your business.

Yes I've seen those type of ads in the back of parenting magazines I get... it does seem like buying children! Sad

I don't have a Facebook account, but I've done a little digging about their policy on ads. It seems like basically, unless something is actually illegal, setting up an advertisement for it through their site is (with very few exceptions) within the terms of service.

Private adoption can be sketchy, but it's not against the law, so Facebook doesn't prohibit it. Personally, I think they should, because I think it's dangerous for infants to be placed over the internet to people who haven't had homestudies or background checks. But the fact is, the laws don't forbid it. What it's teaching the public isn't really a consideration for Facebook when they're getting the ad revenue, as long as they aren't breaking the law.

I think that the laws about adoption advertising should be tighter, but since they aren't, unfortunately this is both legal and within the Facebook site rules.

I haven't seen these types of ads on Facebook and I don't think it is the place to have adoption ads. It's a social networking site not somewhere for people should be going to search for anything adoption related. I have friends there who are aftected by adoption but we don't generally talk about it unless we want to get a message to a number of people at the same time. However we're not forcing it down the throats of every single member on facebook.

I don't care if it's within the "rules" of facebook for these ads to be there I don't see why I should be forced to see them.

I know, right? I've noticed the same thing. It's gross.

I just always click the little "thumbs down" under the ad, and when it asks for a reason, I usually choose "misleading". Since, of course, "coercive" and "predatory" are not available options. Sigh.