This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Facebook privacy settings?
11-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Facebook privacy settings?
Are they somewhat easy to get by?

Here's why I ask. The other day, my dad saw a mother of an old friend of mine back from elementary school days. The mother recognized my dad at the store, said hi and all, then said "oh, my daughter has been tracking your son on facebook!!" My dad relayed the message back to me, and it startled me. Of course, I didn't really know what she meant by "track", but the word implies that she has been through my profile and all, for a prolonged period of time. And why didn't she just add me as a friend? The thing is, I've set some very strict privacy settings on FB! Only friends can see my profile and profile picture. If a stranger clicks on the link to my name. only my summary (name and networks) will come up, as well as a link to "add me as a friend". I don't know what the mother meant by "track." I find it a little odd.

Also, its been twice now that some random people have added me as a friend. Even more surprising is the fact that they are both from New York. I initially thought that this had something to do with my being networked to "Merrill Lynch" but I seriously doubt it. Upon asking them how they knew me, they replied, "I saw your profile and I thought it looked nice so I thought that I would add you." I'm thinking "how could you see my profile?" Or maybe her definition of profile is merely my name and my networks, which really doesn't say a lot about me, so I find it unusual. Needless to say, I never accepted their requests, and I promptly blocked them.

I'm wondering if it's easy to get by these privacy settings? Or am I just being paranoid now?
By the way I've checked those settings numerous times now so it's PROBABLY not the case that I have made a mistake with the privacy settings.
Yup, it's been set on "only friends." BTW about that "Merrill Lynch" comment, I'm just saying that because most people working at Merrill Lynch are in NYC so maybe there was a connection. Those two New Yorkers who tried adding me are just New Yorkers, not ML staff.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 09:26 AM

Do you have your settings at "MY NETWORKS and friends"? If so, people also in your network can see your profile and profile pictures. If you have it set on "only friends" it should restrict it. If you only have that down, then that is quite strange and you should probably check up with Facebook. =)

Ads

11-09-2012, 09:26 AM

While it is pretty strange, I think you're fine. If it's set to private, then no-one's able to see more then your name, networks, friends, and picture.