This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is twitter just a means of abusing people and being rude?
10-01-2012, 09:31 AM
Is twitter just a means of abusing people and being rude?
One Direction's Zayn Malik has deleted his Twitter account saying he is "sick of all the useless opinions and hate".

He posted two messages on the microblogging site saying he would not be sending any more updates.

The 19-year-old said: "The reason i don't tweet as much as i use to, is because I'm sick of all the useless opinions and hate that I get daily goodbye twitter.

"Fans that have something to say can tweet me on the one direction account."

Zayn Malik, from Bradford in West Yorkshire, is not the first celebrity to leave Twitter.

Nicki Minaj left the site in April after a row with a fan who posted snippets of her album online.

She returned to the microblogging site just over a week later.

Blue Peter host Helen Skelton deleted her Twitter account earlier this month saying she could not cope with the negative comments.

Miley Cyrus also deleted her Twitter account in 2009 before returning and actress Demi Lovato has not tweeted since 2009.

Users have 30 days to reactivate their accounts.

Zayn Malik had more than five million followers before he deleted his profile.

The rest of One Direction - Niall Horan, Liam Payne, Harry Styles and Louis Tomlinson - all still have Twitter accounts.

The group finished third in the seventh series of The X Factor in 2010.

* Do you think these "new forms" of Social media have created a society of rude monsters who abuse others and air useless opinions?

Do you have facebook and twitter accounts? What do you use them for?

People seems to confuse "friends" on face book for REAL friends.

Is any of this ever helpful or useful?
Gary Barlow had a load of abuse after his wife had a still birth. What sort of sickos would do such vile things?
If someone you knew face-to-face had a wife who'd had a still birth you would never dream and looking them in the face and being abusive, rude, cruel and say really unpleasant things with the soul aim of upsetting them. at worst you might avoid them so as not to feel you had to say anything... but other than that everyone would offer sympathy and kind words. What right do people think they have to be vile and rude about a dead baby? I don't "get" it?
I don't "get" it... there are "celebrity's" who irritate me (eg Kerry Katona, Jordan etc) but i wouldn't dream of sending death threats or abuse. I just don't watch programmes they are in and surely you would just not "follow" them? People lack decency and manners. No respect.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2012, 09:39 AM

Personally, twitter makes me love people I don't know and Facebook makes me hate the people close to me.

Ads

i have both a facebook and twitter account. I get LOADS of hate too. But I thrive on negative attention... It makes me giggle to see people get bothered by me ^_^

Totally agree with you on this 100%.

People are not just "confusing" but actually substituting FB/Tw "friends" for true real life friends, and substituting means just that, one takes the place of the other, the real friends vanish into oblivion and the user only relates to the new -usually fake- ones.

So many abusers vent their crazy rage on these sites because they can't do it (or they don't dare to) in real life.

It's so sad.

I have NO FB or Tw accounts. Y!A is as far as I go on "social networks"... Smile

The saddest of it all is that Zuck's army of FB zombies is almost one thousand million strong worldwide. And counting. Talk about Zombie Apocalypse. ☺

It's an opinion driven site. Much like what the media has turned into. That's why we have such trouble with truth and credibility; integrity...which begets honesty and responsibility...because we've seemed to be lead to believe that any opinion matters. It doesn't. And it shouldn't be consumed. It gunks up the works and prevents us from having clearer thoughts. It's a vile indulgence; something we humans are known for.

I personally think that twitter is one of the better social networking sites. You can't let a few silly, mis-judging people convince you otherwise. Every social networking site has these users, often refered to as trolls, who make offensive comments to others and I don't expect it will ever be stopped. Society has a right to their own opinions, and there has always been the few that make abusive comments to undermine others, social networking has just given them an easiero way of doing it.

I personally have both a facebook and twitter account. My Facebook account is used to keep in contact with people that I personally know and any abuse ob there is usually just silly nonsense when friends fall out. There are many security measures to stop cyber abuse, and you can easily 'defriend' anyone who bothers you.
My twitter account however, I use to talk to people who have the same interests as me who i may not know, and you can keep yourself updated with the latest news posted by celebrities if they also have a twitter account and you 'follow' it

'Haters gonna hate.'

Although I do not agree with unpleasant behaviour on twitter,these Celebs are surrounded by "Yes People" so in my opinion it is good for them to use Twitter to counteract that and keep them in the real world and grounded.

for people who have serious mental health problems yes, but so is any site/forum, its up to the people who run it to sort that out, and for every person themselves to distance from what i call 'ar*eholes and idiots'

is it helpful or useful, it could be if we would be able to know the difference between 'real' life and net life,but a lot cant, and a lot seem to live on the net so it is becoming their 'real' life

Because people are free to say and behave in what ever way they like without the fear of a good
old fashioned clip round the earhole i.e no respect.

I do have both Twitter and Facebook and i do believe a lot of people use these sites for abuse. I remember when i first got an account there wasn't as much abuse but i feel it has definitely increased and some of the tweets are read are disgusting. There's racism, agism, sexism and just plain bullying.

However there are haters/trolls/bully's in every social site and the only reason the issue is made bigger in twitter and FB is simply because these sites are much larger than any others so there will clearly be more abuse. Also there are much more nice people on twitter and it's such a nice place to talk to people that are very similar to you.

With this Zayn issue; i think he's been a tiny bit selfish (don't hate, it's my opinion), I'm a 1D fan and yesterday twitter exploded with fans expressing their disappointment and hurt. I really feel as if Zayn should be more considerate for his fans. Harry Styles (his band-mate) has had so much hate, like a lot, he even got so upset that he broke down crying, but he's learnt to ignore the hate and move on because guess what, fame brings hate, it's just the life celebs lead. Also remember how much hate Caroline Flack got with her relationship with Harry, it was a hundred times worse than any hate Zayn has gotten but she was mature about it and dealt with it. I'm not trying to hate on Zayn because i adore him, I'm a fan but he needs to man up and deal with haters, ignore them. I often checked on twitter to see the 'hate' he got and he honestly didn't get as much as people are making out.

Any hate towards anybody is disgusting, and it shouldn't happen but like i said, if you want to get into the music industry, you will get haters no matter what and if you can't handle it, get out of it.