This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Kindle Paperwhite vs Nook Glowlight?
11-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Kindle Paperwhite vs Nook Glowlight?
I have been waiting to get an ereader for awhile now because I wanted the e-ink capabilities but i also wanted the built in light. personally I couldn't care less about eye-strain but the main thing I read are pdfs. I want to know which has the best pdf support. mostly I use this for text documents that I can reformat the pdfs to have bigger text to read but again, which has the best support?
Also I'm curious about the browser on the Kindle Paperwhite. is it an actual browser for websites or is it like a browser/bookstore? For example, could I go on Facebook if I wanted to (thats not what I'm going to use it for though)
as for the ads on the kindle, where are they? are they on while you are reading or just on the bookstore?
i don't want to buy an ipad or kindle fire, i just want to use this for reading. if you have another option that you think is better let me know.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 09:40 AM

The browser on the Kindle is a light weight and best suited for text pages like Wikipedia. There are freeware programs that will convert PDFs to Amazon's mobi format but I haven't had much luck with them. The best way I've found to read a PDF on the go is on an iPad.

Ads

Pdf is not very good for any ereader as the writing is tiny and practically impossible to read and you can't change the size you would have to zoom in and it is annoying to read when zoomed in. I would suggest kindle (any pdf you have can converted to mobi using calibre) you can go on Facebook using the kindle browser but its not really that good. The kindle store is separate from the browser and I have never seen any adds except for books on Kindle store but since it is where you buy the books they don't really count as adds. If you want to read in the dark you can get a clip on light (it will work out cheaper than getting a backlit ereader) its simple but good Smile and since you only want it to read ebooks then the simpler the better (and cheaper lol)

1.) "I want to know which has the best pdf support. "

-edit-
Ah, I did not see that you wouldn't mind reformatting your text-based pdfs. You also might try Amazon's conversion using your Kindle email address if you have text based files.

Neither are excellent with pdfs, but they do work.

Note that:
- Both devices will have the e-ink refresh
- They both cannot use pdf 'reflow'.

For Glowlight:
1.) Table of contents work fine (if you have it)
2) No dictionary or highlight support
3.) No landscape mode
-edit- Oh, also 4.) The Glowlight has a SD card slot. You can put more books in the Nook Glowlight, BUT without the SD card slot, you are limited to around 200something MB of your own side-loaded pdf files.

Kindle Paperwhite:
1.) Has landscape mode
2.) You can make notes and highlight stuff
3.) table of contents work too (again, only if you have it)
4.) Has pinch to zoom
5.) No SD card slot.

For what it's worth, I would say the Paperwhite has more even lighting than the Nook Glowlight where the light strip at the top is more pronounced.
Also the Paperwhite is supposed to have better contrast and higher resolution, so that's always a big plus.

BUT in saying that, I've heard that the Kobo has released a Kobo glo version and the Kobo touch apparently had better pdf support than both the Kindle and Nook, so maybe you can check that out too.

2.)"Also I'm curious about the browser on the Kindle Paperwhite. is it an actual browser for websites or is it like a browser/bookstore? For example, could I go on Facebook if I wanted to (thats not what I'm going to use it for though) "

The Kindle Paperwhite has a webkit browser. You can browse any site you want, including Facebook, but you'd probably want the mobile version. Sites work if they are mostly text & image based, it renders pretty well, but it cannot play videos. Browsing is not bad, but it's not THAT good either. You still get those page refreshes.

You can also pinch to zoom. It's not perfect and it's not fast by any means, but it works.

It also doesn't have the ability to open a new window when you click a link. (I am assuming this since none of the other kindles could handle this).
Just keep those in mind.

3.) "as for the ads on the kindle, where are they? are they on while you are reading or just on the bookstore?"

Ads are on the screensaver when the Kindle is sleeping and a rectangle strip at the bottom of the home page. NOT when you are reading books. Some people like the ads because they have good offers and it does not bother them because they do not appear on a book. You can always opt out if you want, but for a price. I think (not sure) it is around $20 to remove them- don't quote me on that, though.