This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Facebook privacy settings, but email address still shows?
11-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Facebook privacy settings, but email address still shows?
Ok, so I am giving facebook a 2nd chance after considering it pure foolishness for several years. However, I'm thinking "no" again, due to this:

I have my privacy settings really tight. Pretty much no one but friends can see or do much of anything to me.

When you have your settings like that, you think no one can see your actual EMAIL address, most of anything, right??? WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

Don't agree? Here's how:

I'm actually LOOKING over the shoulder of a friend, helping them set up their facebook account. And you know how facebook in its infinite and annoying spider-web type of programming, goes through their entire email account(s), combing their entire address book (almost like a bad malware program or bot), looking for any and all possible friend suggestion?

So far so good, right? NO!

THEIR facebook account suggests, in essence:
"Here's a list of friends for you", and on that list, it not only lists MY NAME, but under my name, my actual email address.

Pretend that I am John Doe, and my email address is johndoe@yahoo.com. Pretend that the idea is, as John Doe, I'm fine with facebook suggesting me as a friend to this person, but certainly not telling that person my private email address:

So facebook not only says "We've combed your address book, and we henceforth suggest John Doe as a possible friend of yours on facebook"......No, it includes me in a list of 20 friend suggestions - each one WITH THE PERSON'S EMAIL ADDRESS ATTACHED, as extracted from their email address book.

Get it?

Which is especially annoying if I ever happened to have opened a fake facebook account (don't snarl, we've all done it - as it's critical for any facebook snooping!) - which says Name=Fake Name, email address=Private and REAL Email Address:

So faceobok now lists my Fake Name for this person, and provides for them my email address -

You can waste your time answering my question, "you shouldn't have opened a fake facebook account". But that's not the point. The point is, Facebook, without my permission, presented data to them that CONNECTS my name & my real email address.

that's not supposed to happen.

WTF.....Thoughts?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 09:43 AM

Dude I don't know

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply