This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
do you think my mom is way to strict?
11-09-2012, 09:35 AM
do you think my mom is way to strict?
Ok here i go
Bedtime on school nights:8:00
Bedtime on weekends: 8:00 pm
Have facebook?: not allowed
Allowed to wear make up: no never not until maybe im 18
Allowed outside: No, never! (She says its a bad neighborhood who sells drugs
Privacy with phone: none everyday checks my messages and stuff
Privacy in room: none, door must ALWAYS remain open
Having friends: must meet family, must know about them and where they live. If she thinks its a bad person cant be friends with them
boyfriend: no, not till im 18 and i have to have all A's
Have a job: no, not till i finish school.
Allowed to move out when 18: no, have to finish school
Must be in sight: always. If i get up and go somewhere i must tell my mom where im going and why ( and thats in the house)
Allowed to go somewhere by myself: no never not till im 18.
Allowed to go somewhere with friends: no, never. Must meet parents amd know them along time.

And im 15 year old female and cannot do anything. Is my mom to strict?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 09:43 AM

Hey, yes she sounds very over-protective. It's probably because she wants you to stay focused and do well in school. Try talk with her about it and tell her that you need a life outside school with friends otherwise you will get demotivated and do bad.

It usually helps talking about it like adults.

Good luck Smile

Ads

she obviously really cares about you loads. but i think she's being just a bit strict

Well that is really strict try talking to her and tell her how u feel about her acting that way. Maybe she wants to prevent you from doing a mistake she did before. and she doesn't want you to go thought what she went through. Also try to explain to her that you need your privacy and need to have some indecency at least to go out with some friends and stuff and just kick it. Tell her that you might have to leave the nest some day and she cant prevent that from happening. but don't yell just try to talk calmly

i am 15 too and she sounds way to strict. i get that you shouldn't have a boyfriend if you have bad grades though. she could give you a later bedtime on weekends at least and you should be allowed to have a job when you are 16. i get that she wants to know your friends parents but i don't see why you cant have a Facebook wear makeup or walk around your house freely... i think it might be creepy if she makes you leave your bedroom door open while changing and i hope to god you can at least go to the bathroom without being questioned why you need to.

Yeah but it's only because she loves you. I think the not being able to hang out alone with you friends and the bedtime is to strict so try doing something really responsible to impress her, like you could clean up the entire house without her asking you to or you could make dinnner for your family or something like that! Anyway good luck

To me I think your mother really cares bout yu nd wanna make sure nothing happen to yu... You will thank her when you get older. The world is getting worst. Everytime I watch the news I hear bout another child dying!. She doesnt want you to make any mistakes. Becuz wen you do the blame goes on the parents!. Yes she is strict but its for the best! Im 19 and honestly I wish my mother kept tab on me. I made so many mistakes but then again im happy becuz I learned from them. It might seem like yur mother wont let you live but jus b patient. Your 3 yrs away from 18 relax. Sometimes your friends can influence you to do things you normally wont do. Worry bout yur education for right now..

Far too strict - I could have understood this if you were 8 but at 15 its time she started treating you as a young adult. You need to talk to her, find out why she is being so strict and ask if there is a compromise you can reach.

Yeah your Mom may be a little over protective, but maybe she has good reasons.
Obviously regarding phone and perhaps FB she may feel you might try to conceal your movements/conversations with others. Your Mom feels she should know who you are getting around with, particularly as she says the area is a bit rough.

Could you talk things through with her a little at a time, and perhaps convince her you are not likely to "go off the rails" so to speak with a little bit of freedom.

As regards the BF your Mom is giving you an "incentive" to do well at school so you can have a BF.

I think you should negotiate with your mother. I do feel some of her rules are a bit over the top, but i had a lot of the same rules for my daughter. I think the bedtimes are too rigid. You may need to be up later sometimes to do schoolwork. Also, on the weekend you should be able to have a friend over and stay up watching movies an such. She is using the arbitrary age of 18 to put off making a decision about what is age appropriate, and taking responsibilty for the decision. What she doesn't realize is that when you turn 18 you will have no idea how to handle your sudden freedom. By then she will have no leverage or influence with you anymore.

Instead of enjoying your milestones with you, she is being hypervigilant. I agree a mom should know her daughter's friends and their parents. Sorry. I also didn't let my daughter get a job until the summer before her senior year. Once school started she was only allowed to work on the weekend.
I also agree you should be able to close your bedroom door as long as you are not spending quantities of time hiding out in there, or keeping it locked. I think you should be able to wear a modest lip gloss and some light mascara at your age. I think your mom is right about facebook. Too many kids your age think they are the kardashians, and that everyone needs to know the minutia of their lives. They make it too easy for predators.

Try some negotiation. Find out what she really wants from you. Then, figure out how to give it to her and get some of what you want, too. Don't argue. Negotiate. Good luck.