This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
HELP me pick a tablet? I'm a college student?
11-09-2012, 09:35 AM
HELP me pick a tablet? I'm a college student?
So i'm a college student, but I'm commuting from home. At home I have a family laptop that everyone uses, but it's basically just, me , my mom and dad because my little sister's school gives her one every year and my brother bought his own mac. My mom just uses it for email and checking her bank account and my dad uses it for news, email, facebook, flickr, etc.

I'm looking for a tablet that is:

-between 7 and 9 inches
-apps (games, even metronome or things like that..i'm a singer)
-type up papers
-preferably more than 16 GB, but if it has expandable memory that's fine.
-itunes (maybe that comes on all tablets...i'm not sure)
-front-facing and rear-facing camera
-between $300-350
-A usb drive (I don't think many tablets come with this, so it's fine if it doesn't)
-Specifically, an app to download books, textbooks..for free possibly?

Typically, I would use this tablet to type up papers, play games at school when I have breaks in between my classes, check my facebook, email, listen to music (although I also have an ipod), go on youtube,

One dilemma I have though is that my ipod only connects to macs. If I connect it to a PC I can't do anything but charge it unless i "restore" it which will remove everything. However, I'm a HUGE music person. My ipod is 160 GB. and i've already used more than 60 gb. I always have my ipod with me, so if the tablet doesn't have enough space to carry all my music, that's fine. And if it's not an ipad then my ipod won't connect to it anyway...so yeah.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 09:43 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab...axy+tablet

its a school tablet and its has alot of cool apps your looking for

Ads

Well, I would recommend an iPad. There's and iPad, and an iPad mini.
iPads are the only tablets that have iTunes. They are really good for Facebook, in my opinion, an have a huge amount of apps for musicians. There's apple's own music app- GarageBand, I don't know if its what's best for you, but it has MANY features. Of course, there are many metronome apps too. The iPad 4th gen is 9.7 inches, but there's also an iPad mini, which is 7.9 inches. The bigger iPad is about two times faster and has a resolution that's also kind of two times bigger than the mini.
The price of the iPad 4th gen is $499 an that's for a 16 gb wifi only (i.e. no 4G). Then there's higher configurations for a larger capacity and/or 4g but its more expensive. The iPad mini starts at $329 again 16 bg and wifi only and you can have ones with higher capacity (I think the 32 gb wifi only is around 399 dollars but I'm not sure).
iPads have the largest amount of apps for both games and music apps and actually everything. Other tablets, like android unfortunately don't have so many apps and also they are often not well made. And of course, as I said before, they don't have iTunes.

iPads don't have expandable memory, unfortunately, and I just saw your preferences for that. So together with the price range you provided, probably the iPad mini is best for you, the one at 329 dollars. The one with 32 gb is 400 dollars, but I'm NOT sure, it may be less.
On iPads there's iBooks which has quite some textbooks but they are not for free. The app itself is free, but the books aren't, which is kind of logical. You can, however, download some books from the Internet illegally... I don't know how big the selection is.
Of course there's an app for Skype.
Many games.
No USB drie.
Type up papers- yes.
Well I think I covered all your stuff. Sorry for scattered info and repeating info.
You can find more about iPads here:
http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/overview/

http://www.apple.com/ipad/overview/

All tablets don't have iTunes - it's an Apple thing so it's only on Apple tablets.

But with what you want, I would get an iPad mini. It's 7.9 inches and it costs around $350. You can get 64GBs on it, but that raises the price a lot...
iPad mini isn't necessarily my choice just because it seems kind of weird that they made it when they had the iPad and iPhone/iPod already, but it's still useful.

You can download apps for Skype, Facebook, etc. and there are over 250,000 apps available for iPad, so you can definitely count apps in for that choice.

Hope I helped!