This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is there a positive correlation between Atheism and ugliness?
11-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Is there a positive correlation between Atheism and ugliness?
Before ppl get butthurt over this question, just think about it for a bit... At my workplace I counted at least 10 atheists, and they are all unattractive in appearance and do not take care of their physical health (drink every weekend, eat junk food a lot, don't participate in sports). I thought this may just be a coincidence but then I started to pay attention to the ppl I have on my facebook after a female atheist posted on her wall "I am smart, I am sexy, I am nice and I am good." Not saying anything about her intelligence but she is definitely NOT sexy. And just to clarify, she isn't my friend just some person who decided to add me on facebook (without even speaking 1 word to me). after a group gathering with mutual friends. Then I decided to look at the rest of the ppl on my facebook labelled as atheists and lo and behold not a single one was appealing appearance-wise. I counted about 50... With a large number of them exhibiting general disregard for physical wellbeing.
Anyway dunno if it's just me, anyone else out there? I am curious and this curiosity has made me decide to ask this question and draw on the small sample of ppl that answer it to reach a very limited but some-what more accurate conclusion.

And before ppl start hurling angry and upset comments, note that:
1. I don't care if you're upset about it b/c this is coming directly from my observation
2. Don't give me examples of celeb atheists like Richard Dawkins b/c he is NOT even attractive like some ppl have told me...
3. Agnosticism or ppl who are just plain indifferent about religion and anti-religion cannot be counted as Atheists
Hahaha lovin all these answers guys, keep them up Big Grin. Are these mostly butthurt atheists responding? Plz post us all a pic of how good looking you are otherwise i'll just have to keep enjoying all these responses!!
@XaTung My observation of the atheists i've seen and being generally ugly was all true, but in all honesty I just wanted to troll a few atheists b/c I knew it would spark some controversy. Call it mean or insensitive but all religion (not just christianity) receives verbal abuse on a daily basis so I thought I would have some fun with this. Now I know most ppl would respond with something like "well if your dogmatic religion wasn't so full of fairytales and myths maybe we wouldn't have to insult ppl." The funny thing I find (and in agreeing with your point) is that many atheists believe they're smarter than they actually are. They listen to a few debates by Richard Dawkins or read a few articles by Christopher Hitchens or whoever they idolise/follow and they quote their works to other ppl to convey the appearance of intelligence, when in reality majority know nothing beyond the works of their idols and that there are countless limitations to each theory such a
theory such as the contradiction between the selfish gene theory (a postulation by Richard Dawkins) and the theory of evoultion, or that Richard Dawkins himself confesses that gender in species is irrational, and the source of human consciousness is unexplainable, and that human morality is unreasonable.

Anyway i'm talking too much about biology, but that's the problem with many atheists I have conversations with, the world is surrounded with postulations of why things are and as a species we can't even explore the universe effectively to get these answers and a majority from this group called atheists with their almighty intelligence they can wave away all beliefs in deities without a thought? Human knowledge is so relative (including that statement), but you would be a fool to disagree and claim you have absolute knowledge when really knowledge is really just limited to what one has been exposed to. The knowledge of the universe embedded in a group of enlightened ppl who
call themselves atheists, please don't be absurd... And I know someone would say religious ppl claim to have absolute knowledge by believing in the bible or their respective texts. No... It is the exact opposite of why we do believe in something other than our small brains and reach out to the metaphysical, BECAUSE we do not propose to understand the universe in its entirety. And once again I know a common response would be "you're right we don't know everything, but we are getting there." I don't think ppl realise how slow the progression of exploration of the universe is... Technology such as phones, cars, computers etc. is rapidly improving, but we can't even send a probe into the atmosphere of Jupiter or any other gas giant for longer than a few hours without it being crumpled into oblivion. And not to mention the cost of actually sending someone into space while in the mean time the US and Europe are being buried beneath the mountain of their debts wh
while war, poverty, disease and natural disasters continue to ravage the earth. We're getting there are we? Hah it's unlikely the human race will continue to exist for another thousand years...

Anyhow I was writing this in a bit of a blunder and just felt like putting thought to text, but I agree with your assessment on atheists XuTang.

Someone in the comments below said that they are likely to be more beautiful b/c they feel they only have 1 life to live and must make the most of it. Interesting proposition but as I stated before, that theory doesn't do justice to the many atheists I see drinking away their organs every weekend or ingesting a multitude of transaturated fats and sugars or neglecting physical activity to prolong the muscles in the body. Unless you can provide me with sources otherwise, I don't think you'll change my observations.
Anyhow inb4 someone says "tldr". I don't care if ppl don't read this post, but my words will always be here for that person who decides to speculate on the uncanny relationship between atheists and ugliness Big Grin.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 09:45 AM

Listen to the christian using terms like 'positive correlation' ... good for you.

Ads

christian in a forest

Yeah? Have you ever seen Pope Benedict XVI before? He's a theist... lets just say he has a face only a mother could love.

Lol, get a hobby please.

"Agnosticism or ppl who are just plain indifferent about religion"

Agnosticism pertains to knowledge. Agnosticism is not a position on religion.
Atheism pertains to belief. Atheism is not a position religion.
One does not exclude the other.

I don't think so. By the sounds of it though, there is a correlation between your perceptions of people and their beliefs (or lack thereof). Given the negative association to one particular group, that would make you, by definition, a bigot.

Your underlying premise - that dissatisfaction with oneself or with one's situation may lead him to abandoning his faith - would not even if true undercut the validity of any rational basis he may have for persisting in that abandonment.

You're able to -measure- what someone believes?

now you've looked at the athiests, get your safety goggles on and go look at the theists

Don´t worry my friend, I have noted the same.

Like you have said yourself, your observation doesn´t apply to agnostic people and people who are indifferent about religion, but the active atheists I know tend to be really ugly both physically and also in terms of personality. And when I say active atheists I mean those who spend all their time announcing their beliefs to everyone, constantly attacking people of faith and believers in the paranormal and trolling forums on religion. Those atheists certainly are very ugly people.

Coincidentally they also tend to be liberals and hold some kind of abhorrence for conservative values. Their adherence to atheism is not usually because of scientific evidence, in most cases is it usually a way to rebel against the values that they despise. That would explain why so many of them are so emotional or even hysterical whenever they discuss the topic of religion. Like you have already mentioned, because of their rebellion against traditional values, many live reckless lifestyles. The ones I know think they are smart, but in reality they spend all their time doing mindless drinking and don´t look after themselves well at all. That may explain why so many of them are not attractive at all.

Beautiful girls on the other hand are happy with their beauty. They have no need to be bitter unlike unattractive atheist/feminist girls. Since they have more reason to be happy, they have no quarrels with God. They feel no need to constantly attack God or theists who believe in him. Theist girls are definitely nicer and more beautiful.

Also, I find it curious that someone would want to write in a public space about oneself "I am smart, I am sexy, I am nice and I am good"! If you have to resort to self-praise and reaffirm that you are X it is obvious that you really are not! No really smart man feels the need to tell people he is smart. Similarly no really nice person has to tell people he is nice or good, if a person really is nice or good other people say so, not oneself in an ego trip of self-praise!

Edit:

You make a good point. Atheists like to think that they are much smarter than what they really are and also like to spread the myth that people of faith or people involved in the paranormal are unintelligent. That argument is already destroyed when one enumerates a list of some of the greatest scientists in history who were/are theists.

Most atheists are nowhere near as smart as they want people to believe they are. Even their celebrities aren´t as smart as people think! For example, Richard Dawkins, a man titled the world´s number one atheist intellectual according to some, makes public absurd statements like "real scientists don´t believe in God" and "it would be less harmful for a child to be sexually molested than to be taught about the concept of hell"! And these people are supposed to be the best atheist intellectuals in the world!!!