This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mother in law driving me crazy....?
11-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Mother in law driving me crazy....?
Anybody out there have a MIL who is ALL over your baby?

I have a son who is 7 weeks today. She is just all over him. Idk what it is, but it just makes me so mad!

It's like she wants to play mommy. She constantly wants him over at her house, and when other family members are wanting to hold him, she pouts and says "no i want to hold him"

When we go somewhere with her, she carries either him or the carseat (with him in it) around and shows him to everyone. Sometimes she even takes him out of the carseat (without asking) and asks someone else WITHOUT asking me, "do u want to hold him?" like hes her dang baby.

All of her friends have made it all about her. "Oh he looks just like you" "what a sweet baby you have" Uhm, hes not her baby and he certainly does NOT look like her.

She always tries to run my (soon to be) husband and I off so she can hover around him and kiss him all over the place. I know she is his gma, but i dont want her germs and breath all over him.

The other night she was holding him a way he didn't like to be held and she said "do u have a tummy ache" and i said "no he doesn't like to be held like that, here let me walk him around for a little bit" so i reach out for him and she just gets up and walks off in the kitchen trying to calm him down.

She has him as her profile picture on facebook, her timeline cover, she has to comment on EVERY picture i post of him and she even tags herself in them when i only want his dad tagged.

Everytime someone asks me a question involving Liam (my son) she has to butt in and answer it before i ever get the chance.

I don't have much time with him during the week as it is because of school, and weekends are the only actual quality time i have with him, and she knows that. But i guess she don't care, she just wants him to herself when i go with them places. I told my fiance all this running around on the weekends is gonna have to stop, mom and dad come first, not grandma.

Is she obssesive? Am i overreacting? Is it a first time mom thing?
Actually i have 3 different accounts on here. I just log into one, it doesn't make a difference which account i'm on. Thanks for trying to be rude Wink
Snowwillow- it mainly just bothers me when she asks someone to hold him without my permission. Or when she doesn't give him back when i ask.
Snowwillow- it mainly just bothers me when she asks someone to hold him without my permission. Or when she doesn't give him back when i ask.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 09:53 AM

Yes I do!!!!!!!!! You have every right to feel this way!!!! You need to start say NO, and you should talk to your husband abt this so he can sit her down and tell her.. My mother in law was the same way until I started to say no, im doing this and standing up to her. Believe me, the word NO will go a long way in this predicament.

Ads

Is this her first grandchild? I have my granddaughters pictures as my profile picture. Last year I had their picture taken and used it as my Christmas card. My son said it was weird to open a card from me and see his kids, but he thought it was funny. I am a proud proud Grandma. I also comment on pictures of them. I don't see anything wrong with that. I think it would be weird if I didn't comment. The other grandparents tag my pictures so their friends can see them.

He's only 7 weeks, she will calm down. You are a new Mom and seem to be a little jealous, just let her help you out. If she were your Mom would you feel the same way?

I do what ever I can to help out my son and DIL. That's what grandparents are for. Lighten up a bit and try to go with the flow. Try to establish a good relationship with her after all she is your husbands mother, without her you wouldn't have your husband or Liam. lol.

Just because you post this under different accounts doesn't mean we don't recognize the question. Like I said before, maybe she just wants to help because you are 16 and children don't make good parents. By the way, she is not your mother in law. She is your boyfriend's mom.

Not to worry, you have no problem as you do not have a mother-in-law as you are not legally married.

Maybe your boyfriend's mom is just worried about the baby as you seem to be extremely young to be a parent. Who watches your child when you are at school? This lady? Be grateful.

It's not just a first time mum thing, it's a first time granny thing :-)

My MIL went cuckoo over my daughter when she was born, as well as one SIL. They both seemed totally oblivious to how overbearing they were - my SIL came to visit (unannounced) once, when my daughter was just a few days old and stayed for NINE hours! Both my husband and I were shattered but she never seemed to notice...or care!

They do outgrow it but it does no harm at all to get your future husband to deal with it, gently. Your MIL is simply very excited, proud and wants to show her grandson off to the whole world. As it's his mother, your man deals with it. Get him to set gentle boundaries - every other weekend you can have tea with her or something. It's best to visit her home because then you can escape when YOU want, it's a lot harder to kick her out if she's in your home ;-) But you're absolutely right to get upset, that's your child first and foremost, not hers. Also, I would recommend emailing photos to friends but not putting anything on facebook for a long while (why is your MIL on your FB page?! You can quietly defriend her, by the way ;-) ) so that she's not over-involved that way too.

Get your man to lay down the law, whatever the two of you decide. I promise you, they do get better and it is worth keeping the grandparents around, not only do they come in handy for babysitting later but also the relationship between your son and his granny will be a gorgeous thing to watch later. My daughter used to be pretty scared of her granny as granny is a bit excitable around small babies (and animals!) but these days they're inseperable. Just get your man to deal with this, stay out of it as much as possible yourself or it'll lead to more problems for you long term. Good luck :-)