This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New facebook privacy controls - how to hide your wall and friends list?
11-09-2012, 09:59 AM
New facebook privacy controls - how to hide your wall and friends list?
Hey there,

I was just wondering if anyone knows how to hide your wall and friends list from anyone other than people already on your friends list?

I've set everything to friends only but when I preview my profile or use another profile who I am not friends with I can see my wall and friends list etc?

Any help would be great

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 10:07 AM

Hey I just asked the exact same question yesterday. Smile lol
This is what answer I got and It worked!! :

Very simple to do.

Just go into your privacy settings, next to logout. You need to hover your mouse over "settings"

Then click on search.

Make sure "my friend list" is unchecked. Then click save, the big blue button.

That's it.

Ads

First off, in order to accurately view your page so that you can see what it would look like to another person you would need to use the option on the privacy settings page where you can enter a persons name and Facebook will then show you what your profile would look like to the person you entered based on the privacy options you have selected at that time. If you try to view your page by just going to your profile page after you have logged out then there is a good chance that what you are still getting the "logged-in" version of your Facebook profile since your internet cache, cookies, website profiles and numerous other things are permanently stored making Facebook think that you night still be logged in when you are not.

To set you privacy options so that "Only Friends" can see your profile page or "Only Certain Friends" can view your profile page or a mixture of the two, all of the privacy options must be set to either "Only Friends" or you must use the "Customize" option where you choose certain friends, the ones you don't choose will be treated as a "non-friend" when it comes to that part of your profile. You do have the option of "Only Me" for some settings and "No One" for a few settings also.

As long as you check each setting carefully and remember that there are numerous different areas to cover:

1) Profile Access
2) Search Access
3) News Feed and Wall Access
4) Application Access
5) Block People

Then you should be set as far as profile privacy.

If you have specific Privacy related questions you should use the Facebook Help section since it is very well written, easy to understand and extremely helpful. I have listed the Facebook Help website address for you:

http://www.facebook.com/help.php

I hope that starts to explain things for you!

This is EASY!!!

Go to your Profile Page

Scroll down to the Friends Box on the left hand-side

Click on the pencil shape in the corner

Un check "show my friends in my profile"

Hello the pencil thing work but only for people that dont have mutual friends with you! So even people are not your friends if you guys have mutual friends they will be able to see all your friend list! First they will see -mutual friends,and then when they click on option -see all-fisrt mutal friends will be shown,but if they click on option evryone-hops-your all friend list will show up!!
So does anyone know how to fix this??

Can I limit access to my Friend List?

After you've completed the transition to the new privacy settings, you'll be able to click on the pencil icon in the top-right corner of the "Friends" box on your profile. Unchecking "Show my friends on my profile" will prevent your Friend List from appearing in your profile when it is viewed by people who are logged in to Facebook.

Can I limit access to my Wall?

The answer is yes. Just as before, you have complete control over who has access to posts your friends have made through the "Posts by Friends" setting under "Profile Information" on the Privacy Settings page. For example, if you choose Friends of Friends, only your friends and friends of those friends will be able to see posts others have made on your Wall.

You can also control whether applications you use can post stories to your Wall on the Application Settings page. Just click "Edit Settings" next to an application's name and choose the settings that are right for you.

SaME!!! omg!! i am SOOO mad it facebook. WE NEED TO CREATe a angry MOB!!!

To the people saying click on the pencil and then "Show my friends on my profile".

THIS DOES NOT WORK!

People can still view mutual friends and from there they can select to see everyone.

Therefore this is invalid.

I don't think most people are aware of what the OP (or Anna) are trying to say...

Even if you do click on that pencil icon in your profile and uncheck the box that says "Show my friends on my profile"... it doesn't completely solve the problem. Anyone that shares a mutual friend with you will be able to see EVERYONE on your friends list, even if they are not directly a friend of yours. This is how:

When somebody visits your profile there will be a mutual friends list showing... this will be there regardless of if you choose to show your friends or not. The person can then click on the "See all" link. On that screen there will be 3 tabs showing: "Everyone", "Mutual Friends", and "Browse". The person can then simply click on "Everyone" and see (of course) EVERYONE on your friends list. This makes setting your privacy to hide your friends kind of moot, eh?

I encourage people to actually go through these steps and see for themselves before posting solutions that don't actually work. I'm pretty sure there's a way to get around this because I happen to have a friend that has only the "Mutual Friends" tab showing when I go into their "See All". Of course... this person may not have logged on since they changed the privacy settings and may still be under the old set of rules when it "may" have been possible to resolve this. I'm not sure if it ever was or not under the old rules, I just now stumbled upon this dilemma.

The "Mutual Friends" section only show ALL mutual friends, not ALL friends Smile However, I was looking for some solutions to hide my friend list from certain of people. The new privacy settings are only helpful if you want to hide from everyone, even yourself. The old settings used to allow you manipulating it.