This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
how do you make yourself "unsearchable" in the facebook search thingy? pleasesseee help 10 points?
11-09-2012, 10:24 AM
how do you make yourself "unsearchable" in the facebook search thingy? pleasesseee help 10 points?
i honestly have no clue how to make myself not appear in the search box of the facebook privacy settings i know there's a way but i can't figure it out!! please help 10 points to best answer

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!
@herptile: okkk thanks i think i already have that setting on there i just thought there was a way so even people that are friends with my friends can't see me because i know one of my friends has a facebook and you can't search her and i have a bunch of mutual friends online with her

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 10:32 AM

Not sure if you can, but you can adjust your settings so people can't send you requests.

Ads

Go to your Privacy Settings. There's an option saying that you can make it so random people can't find you by search or direct links.
That will work. I think that people with friends that are your friends can search and find and add you though.

http://abrax.us/Facebook/NotSearchable.php

I am just going to copy straight from the Facebook Help Center because my summarized version would just be confusing and probably leave out half of the steps...

--> How do I control who can look up my timeline by name?

We used to have a setting that controlled who can look up your timeline using your name. We removed that setting because your timeline could be discovered in other ways in connection with your name. For example, if you selected Friends or Friends of Friends for this setting, it only prevented your timeline from showing up in search results. It didn't prevent a link to your timeline from showing up in search connected to other posts, like posts you're tagged in. It also didn't prevent your timeline from being discovered through other search terms like employment, college, location, etc. Additionally, anyone who knew your unique timeline address (with either your User ID or username), could find your timeline.

Many people used this control to prevent unwanted friend requests or messages. To control who can send you a friend request or a Facebook message:

1.) Click the account menu at the top right of any Facebook page and choose Privacy Settings
2.) Next to the How You Connect heading, click Edit Settings
3.) Select your preference from the dropdown menu next to Who can send you friend requests? or
Who can send you Facebook messages?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*You may be interested in this part too...

-->How do I prevent search engines (e.g., Google) from showing my public search listing?

By default, a public search listing is created for all Facebook accounts that belong to users 18 years of age and older. If you do not want people to be able to find you in a search engine result, please take the following steps:

1.) Click "Edit your settings" for the "Applications and Websites" section at the bottom of your main
Privacy Settings page.
2.) Scroll down to "Public search" and click "Edit Settings".
3.) Un-check the box next to "Enable public search". Please note that if you uncheck this box,
people who do not yet use Facebook won’t be able to find you. Allowing your friends to find you
both on and off of Facebook may make your experience more meaningful.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another possibility that previously worked for me (but may not anymore after so many updates & changes to the site) was to roll back my birth year enough to make the tighter privacy settings for minors apply to my profile. It may be worth trying as a back-up or very, very last resort.

Hope something in here helps... Good luck!

This is UP-TO-DATE Tutorial:
Privacy Settings->Ads, Apps and Websites->Public search->Uncheck “Enable public search” option.
Read more in the link below with screenshots.
Have a good day)