This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is okay to be obsessed with Harry Potter?
11-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Is okay to be obsessed with Harry Potter?
I liked many pages on facebook related to Harry Potter. I'm 18 years old. I read all the books and watched all the movies. For the last couple of months HP is all I was thinking about. I wish I could go to Hogwarts. I made my own wand. My friends say I'm too much obsessed with it and none of them didn't read the books, they just watched movies, and they aren't into it as much as I am (for example, when I said my favorite sport is quidditch, they laughed). I'm desperate because I don't have any friend to share my obsession with. In my school everyone is confused because I wear Deathly hallows and Butterbeer cork necklaces (they have no idea what's that). Also, my family think I'm way too obsessed. :///
I have tried to introduce these books to one of my friends and she like them, but I don't want to bother her with long conversations about it (mistakes from the movies, characters, horcruxes etc.). Is this obsession too much? I must say that I have social life (going out with friends, study for school, listening to music, drawing...).

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 10:46 AM

If it impacts your life negatively, you need to scale back your obsession. If it doesn't, who cares? Over time you won't care as much about HP

Ads

Yes.

Anytime something pulls you so far out of contact with other people, it's a problem. Scale it back. You can LIKE something but obsession is never a good thing.

While you can join a fan club online about it to talk with others, the people around you in real life are going to start excluding you from things as 'too strange' to be around if you continue pushing this at them.

If you reverse it and imagine one of your friends always and ONLY talking about bike riding, wouldn't you start feeling that he's gotten a little too strange and very limited in how he sees things? That kind of person gets boring REAL fast. Don't be the one that gets boring.

There's nothing wrong with it, but just remember to obsess in moderation. Don't obsess to the point that you forget about everything else. Real life, unfortunately, is not like Harry Potter. There are no spells available in the real world that will pay the bills, get you a job, or write those exams in school. Don't let it take over your life. Besides that, continue to love HP because that's what makes you happy.

EDIT: If you see that your friend is interested in the conversation, don't be afraid to talk to her more about it. This can become another interest that binds you two together. Just make sure not to overwhelm her too much. It's understandable that you would be excitable about something you're passionate about, but remember not too overdo it and go 'omgomgomgomg' all over her.

I would just like to say that we are EXACTLY alike. There is nothing wrong with an obsession, as long as it is over something good (which HP DEFINITELY is).

You need a Potterhead friend. I have one and she always understands what I'm talking about. There's nothing better than a good HP chat with her Big Grin

Don't let the muggles get you down!

I read the first few lines of your question and I would say your a bit weird.

By the way, youre a bit late to the party.