This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Facebook....how do you handle it?
11-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Facebook....how do you handle it?
I used to be an open book but lately I've wanted to keep my life a lot more private since I've graduated college. There are a lot of gossip type of people that want to see me fail at moving out & finding a job on my own and they make it very known. Always asking me questions about my life etc.

I also am sick of everyone knowing who I associate with "mutual friends" where I'm living, working, basically everything about my life. It is nobody's business but mine.

HOWEVER there are certain people that I'd really like to keep in contact with and see what is going on in their lives.

I don't want to unfriend a "bunch" of people because I worry it's going to cause drama.
I"m thinking of getting rid of my facebook but I know I'll loose a lot of close contacts

is there a way to fix my privacy??
So that people can't see my mutual friends, my statuses etc.
???

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 10:53 AM

I'm under the impression if you use the new 'unsubscribe' feature to a person then they also won't see your status updates (because you wont see theirs).

To do this, go to someone's profile and see the 'friends', and 'message' tabs (message has the cog icon beside it) - these are located at the top-right of the middle section of a wall below the header and above the newsfeed.

Hover (hover) your cursor over the 'FRIENDS' tab to see a drop down list of options and one should read something like 'Show in newsfeed'. If this option has a tick, then this person's updates appear on your wall, and yours on theirs. If you click this option and uncheck it, they vanish from your newsfeed but not your friendlist.

One thing about doing this, I've met people who didn't like my doing this to them (I post alot so people subscribed to my updates notice) and, as opposed to my being anything special (I know I'm not) they took my doing that as a slap in their face and removed me from their friendlists.

Personally, I think if someone unfriends you (without good reason) then they shouldn't be your friend anyway. Privacy is absolutely your rite and, if you don't want to share your every little thing, all power to you.

Ads

Block them

You can add then to your restricted smart list. They will still be in your friends list but won't be able to see anything you post or anything unless you set it to public. You can see their stuff but try cant see yours. Just make sure hen you post things you always set it to friends only