This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How can I show my parents that I am mature enough for them to let me get a tattoo? Any words of advice?
11-09-2012, 10:46 AM
How can I show my parents that I am mature enough for them to let me get a tattoo? Any words of advice?
Well to start this off, I am an artist, not a great one, but I drew out of one the tattoos I do want. I've wanted a specific tattoo for a while now, sense november of last year. I realized that the tattoo I originally wanted was something I should reconsider, because it's so cliche. The one I want now, Is a Koi Fish I drew out. I'd link you a picture, but it's on my Facebook, so you'd have to add me as a friend to view it. The original tattoo I did want, however, my mom agreed to letting me obtain, but then again, a while back, when I had told my step dads rest of the family about it, it seemed to change her mind about the entire thing, she revolted against the idea, because of their thoughts. I was excited, till there thoughts influenced hers over mine. I know there is ways of getting it, not so much legally, but I don't want to disrespect my parents like that, I wouldn't consider it either. I'm 16, turning 17 in may of next year, I can always wait, I know that. I've been able to convince them to let me get snakebites at the age of 13 (Don't regret it, but should have highly reconsidered it) and stretch my lobes to (1 1/4" 32mm) and have had that over a year now. Both, my snakebites and lobes are healing, my lobes are about 9/16ths and still shirking. I wouldn't say I'm a "Bad" kid, I would consider responsible, have a job, and am working towards getting a new job also. Is there any way you think that I could present them in a mature manor and help them see that I really want this tattoo? Not to mention, neither of them have a tattoo, but there is no real story behind the one I want. I think it's meaningful to me, because I took the time to draw it, and the specific placement of it, wouldn't affect me getting a job or such. Any words of advice is accepted, wether or bad, I am just looking for some answers, and wether or not, you think I should reconsider it.

-Many thanks,
Jeremy.
Well thank you, Big Grin I really appreciate your answer, in time, if I do regret it, which at this point, I don't think I will. I mean, it's my artwork on my body, so I can't really say that anyone else will have it, so that's some motivation for me, haha.
Thank you also, yes, I know, Waiting is my other factor. I mean, I don't mind at all. I honestly think that is the best idea. If anything, I can always wait, I mean, why rush it? I have so much time do to whatever it is to my body I want. Not that I'll be adding more holes anytime soon, I would think not. I think waiting for it would mean more as is, making me want it more, and being able to say that I paid for it regardless of now or when i turn 18, will feel as if I am more I guess you could say "Mature", then again, I would say I should wait till I am 18, so it doesn't feel like I'm relying on my parents for my modifications and such.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 10:54 AM

You'll never really convince them, many people who have tattoos do regret them after 20 years of having them - but I know if I really think it through, I wont. If it's a meaningful tattoo to you, then, you wont regret it Smile Just sit them down and tell them how badly you want it, and how meaningful it would be to you(:

Ads

11-09-2012, 10:54 AM

the best way to show you really are mature enough is, I hate to say, to wait till you are of legal age. That way you show your able to wait and if they still don't see it you do it anyway as they cannnot stop you legally.
My son got his eyebrow peirced with my permission at sixteen. I however insisted he wait until he was of legal age to get his tattoo. He came along with me when I got mine and saw the process. He was not happy but he did wait and I paid for the tatt.
The biggy is that tatts are much harder to get rid of than peircings, so I made him wait and think about it, and realise that any choices that he makes from then on are all his. He cannot blame anyone else for the choices he makes in regards to permanent marks on his body.