This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do you stay positive when you don't get the job you wanted?
11-09-2012, 11:52 AM
How do you stay positive when you don't get the job you wanted?
Back in November, a headhunter contacted me for an amazing job opportunity as an editor at the Huffington Post. I made it through 4 interviews but in the end, they picked a girl who was more popular (she has more twitter followers). I was disappointed because I know I'm qualified but it came down to who was more popular. I understand they did what's best for them. The hiring manager really liked me so he referred for another job as a news editor but his bosses deemed me too young for it (I'm 28). I feel down because I keep hearing about the people who work there and how cool their job is. I'm trying to move on and get a better job for myself, but it's hard not to feel jealous. I've started a new blog to and I'm doing everything I can to be more marketable. I've been actively looking for a job for 2 months, but have not had much luck. I'm lucky my current job pays ok and gives me the flexibility to job hunt, but I feel a bit like a failure. I always worked hard and succeeded but this blows. My bf told me not to focus on the bad because something better is in store for me, but it's hard not to.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 12:01 PM

Just remember that a lot of people are in the same boat, and soooooo many don't even have a job to fall back on. I think it's great that you're using the time to continue job hunting and adding to your skill set. All of that will pay off sooner or later! In the meantime, make sure you take time to nurture who you are as a gf, friend, etc. and enjoy your hobbies outside of work. That will give you something to look forward to every day besides job-hunting.

It really sounds like you are doing everything right and that any employer would be lucky to have you. Hang in there!

Ads

11-09-2012, 12:01 PM

It may sound simple but if you don't keep trying you'll never get another job. What's your other option to give up??? You said so yourself, your current job pays ok, and allows you time to job hunt so you have that flexibility. It's ok to be jealous, frustrated etc. but if you use that in a positive way as motivation you'll be actively doing something to get what you want. It also sounds like you have others who encourage and support you (boyfriend) not many people can say that. Good luck.