This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why are people so drawn to facebook?
11-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Why are people so drawn to facebook?
I'm 24 and I don't have a facebook, I did for a short while a few years back but got rid of it. It's everywhere these days and people complain that I don't have it. My reasons are:

- When I tried to get rid of it, it was a long process that took many repeated attempts. It was not straightforward to fully delete myself at all, and it made me think facebook is a deceitful, dishonest company that does not care about its users. The countless privacy scandals it has been involved in since then certainly back this up, I don't trust FB at all.

- I don't want people checking up on my life. I don't get why people are so eager to put their whole lives under a microscope. I know the reason my friends complain about my facebook absence, it's because I moved away from my home town a few years back and if I'm not on FB they can't check up on & judge my life. I know this frustrates them.

- Incriminating things can end up on the internet that once they're out there that's it, that's facebook's property. Who knows when something you do might end up on the internet and come back to bite you. I want the option to **** up every now and then and not have a permanent record out there that employers, parents, even police etc. can snoop on.

- I have many good friends but I don't care what any of them are doing, don't want to know their "status updates" or whatever - why do people think others are interested in this inane stuff? There are also people who I'd rather not have any contact with but who I know would want to add me and try and communicate with me.

- It seems to me like a narcissists' playground full of insecure people who are there to make themselves look cool/impressive.

So, what's the reason it's so popular? Is facebook's popularity a measure of how voyeuristic & narcissistic the world has become?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 12:07 PM

Because it gives us something to relate to in a fun, creative, way. It also helps us keep track of people and keep in touch with family members. When you "like" stuff on Facebook it will give you updates on things you like. Whether it be products, tv shows, or whatever. Plus, you never forget a birthday Wink

Ads

11-09-2012, 12:07 PM

Because it's a novelty at first and it draws you in until your hooked. Then things start going wrong and you have the odd argument with people and fall out.

I had to drag myself away from it and my life is so much happier without it.

Fb is great for keeping in touch with people, but alot of people take it far to seriously.