This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Learning Game Development on Windows 8?
11-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Learning Game Development on Windows 8?
I wanted to learn and make windows store app.(esp. games) but was not able to find here to start...After a lot of searching I found good tutorials for XNA Game Studio but all joy ended when I came to know it can't be used with Microsoft visual Studio 2012 as well as windows store apps can't me made with it.....
Can someone suggest where to learn programming windows store games...I found msdn sites way to complicated......
Can someone also provide me a tutorial like this one(but this is for XNA)..I want this type for windows store games..link:http://www.indiedb.com/games/reggae-speed/tutorials/creating-a-simple-2d-game-with-xna-1-basic-rendering-and-input

I have a good experiencing in programming console apps or games in TC as well as visual studio..
U can know my level by getting this game file I made in turbo C++(I think this will be helpful to provide me the tutorials I require acc. to my level)......
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?o0d66a26l602eg6

Also it will be really helpful if someone having experience in this field can post here his facebook profile link.....
I am really feeling thirsty to start learning windows store game programming,So please help......
@Nemanja: Previosly I was facing issue that I was just able to get templates of windows store to work but now that issue is all solved....
I am happy having even a game for windows 7....And for now I don't have goals of making some super duper games....For now I want to start with some 2d game action....So can u provide me some or the other help in it......And I said I am good at programing a console app or game not a game incorporating a whole GUI...Infact I am newbie in that field.....Only one problem is I can't use XNA Game Studio so can u suggest something else and some hello world tutorial for 2d gaming....

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 12:08 PM

I think that programming windows store apps would not work, yet.. You see, Windows 8 is still in Release Preview phase.. Only guys from Microsoft know how to create those apps.. But, if you say you're a good C++ programmer.. then.. Why not create a real C++ game?! Smile If you want so - continue

GAME DEVELOPMENT is REALLY, REALLY HARD! It's not "just one man work".. You need to have your own team! You must have a good programming experience..! Most of the games created nowadays are built using C++.. it is a really hard programming language to learn, it does take years.. I think you already know that Wink You can learn some stuff in days, but you need to create a lot of programs and do participate to various competitions to actually start to think about creating a game! If you think you are not good enough - that's fine, you can download FPS Creator X10 & start creating your first person shooter game without programming at all Big Grin (yeah, but it is full of limits.. and I hate having limits in my programs.. :-) )
If you think you are good enough for real stuff.. Then - check the platform you are programming on! Windows 8? Well, why not Windows 7? It would work on Windows 8, too.. Big Grin For the beginning, you can start OpenGL programming.. Counter Strike is rendered using OpenGL, ya know?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply