This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
does it matter i don't have a social life...?
11-09-2012, 12:30 PM
does it matter i don't have a social life...?
I'm a 20 yr old female and live in Australia. I've never had a lot of friends, I've always just had 2 family friends and friends from school I'd speak to. I'm not a people's person and I'm really quiet and shy so i don't speak to people unless i know them.

For 3 years i been working at home so my mum can have money, so i just stay at home really often. I go out sometimes with a close friend.. but that's very rare.. so generally i go out by myself or stay at home. I get quite bored often, i'll text an old friend or go on Facebook but generally i just don't have that "group of friends" or people constantly texting or calling me. I think i compare too much with other people my age... they all have social lives and have many people calling/texting them. I always wondered why i never had that.

So yeah... generally i am just with my mum and grandparents watching tv or in my room listening to music. I've thought of joining groups and clubs but it doesn't really interest me and i find it bothersome to fill out all the form things. Mainly what i want to know is.... is there other people like me too? what do they do in their days? How can i stop thinking about this and accept my life the way it is? why do i feel like it's wrong or weird?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 12:38 PM

I feel I can relate to you quite a bit, I'm 20 in two weeks and I haven't really got a social life hence at the minute I'm lying in bed answering on yahoo, although I admire what you do for your mum although i feel a healthy social life is required even if its only going out once every couple of weeks with your close friend to get you out of the house, and if you do that regularly you won't be long in meeting others once you get talkin to them in a bar or where ever it is you want to go, at least the people you meet when your out you can see if there is a genuine connection with them rather than in a group where you would feel forced to make a connection then feel vunerable if that connection breaks down. Hope this is helpful and makes sense. Feel free to email me if you feel lonely or want advice or just someone to talk to

Ads

its only will get worser with years- u ll see

Not if you're alright with it.Ignore societies perception.I don't get out much either.I get stressed out in large crowds.Not all of us are part animals.If you want to make friendbutcan't that's a different thing and can come under a Psychological disorder like Social Anxiety.Do you get depressed or anxious

You aren't alone. But it sounds like you are lonely. You might be an introverted person, but you do sound like you want more. It's easy to say that you could stop feeling this way by feeling secure in yourself, but it is much harder to do. I think that you need to make more effort in becoming more social, and that if you do, you won't regret it. Being social is natural, and as humans, it is a need. Your family is a great place to start. It is great because you have security there. Your family will always be there, even if your attempts to do social things don't work out. So you can go out into the world, knowing that you always have something to go back to. I hope you find courage in that.

Because of the type if work I do, I am alone a lot, so I make sure I don't decline opportunities to be social, and take advantage of them when they arise, even if I don't feel like it because I know it is good for me. Also, I take the initiative sometimes too, once again, even if I don't feel like it.

And about texting and what not. It wasn't that long ago that some people didn't even have phones. Texting doesn't necessarily make a friendship, so don't think that you need to be in the action, so to speak, to have friends.