This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Does facebook monitor secret groups?
11-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Does facebook monitor secret groups?
What's to stop someone using a secret facebook group to plan national front meetings or similar?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 12:39 PM

The right to peaceable assembly is guaranteed us by the Constitution. It's why we left Britain in the 17th century, remember?

But as to whether Facebook monitors anything, well, whether they do or not, anyone who does *anything* on the Internet and doesn't think the government is looking on is either foolish or incredibly naive. I would never put any information on the Internet that I didn't fully expect to have in an electronic dossier with my name on it somewhere in the government's archives.

Ads

If your are part of the al qaeda then you are bound to be monitored lol
but on the other hand all activity you do on facebook are stored on there servers. but not monitored unless if you get reported then your account will be reviewed

There have been a number of movies in recent times that have featured governmental monitoring of certain media / communication mediums.

Whether these are really true or not I don`t know but made a good movie.

These tended to focus on monitoring for certain key words and phrases - said over the mobile phone network, written in emails or texts.

Certainly the technology in terms of raw processing power is now there to carry out such filtering & monitoring.

So why not Facebook.

However what would they actually look for? Would you be stupid enough to call your group something that stands out/ Would you make provocative statements in emails between the group members?

Setting up meetings - how would you filter out the legitimate ones from the others. Who is to say that say Womens Group Against Raw Fish isn`t a front for something else (and I am VERY sorry if there is such a legitimate group).

If you believed that all traffic on Facebook was monitored what else?

The Bill of Rights of the US Constitution only protects you from the government impeding on your rights. Facebook is private property and they are legally in the clear to do anything they want with it because it's their property. However, it becomes un-okay when the government starts getting involved (see Bill of Rights).