This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why are so many young people less social than they used to be?
11-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Why are so many young people less social than they used to be?
I'm 22 and it astounds me how many people in my age group have no social life whatsoever. Most people I know just sit around on Facebook/Twitter, texting people inside the house all day. Now I have a busy life with college and work, but some of these people are just lazy. Is it technology? I know so many people in their 30's/40's who actually have a social life. Our generation is really a shame.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 01:28 PM

IT could be a lot of things, like the attention they are getting at home. When parents verbally abuse their children or show them no attention then the child will reflect on that. Or it could be the technology. Children now are more adapt to technology and are comfortable talking to each other online or through text messaging. So instead of going down the street to speak with their friends or learn to be more sociable out in public, it becomes more difficult for them to do. People like this are also different when online than face to face. You should watch Wall-E, and you will see what I am talking about and what technology is doing to us as humans today.

Ads

I think you answered your own question. Much of our development in today's culture is influenced heavily by technology. Now you can be connected and have "friends", without really having to interact with them as real people, and develop interpersonal skills needed to support healthy relationships. It's hard to be able to carry on conversations and to think in any deep way, when we're used to thinking in short 140 character thoughts. The sense of time also speeds up. Who has time to think, talk, and just interact?

Earlier in time, people would sit together and just talk with each other; nowadays people sit together and text other people. An exaggeration maybe, but not unusual.

There's certainly more to the story, but you're right in pointing out the technology.

It depends who they hang with...! Also there are more drugs and situations than in the pass when I grew up and young people try to stay out of trouble...!