This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Im doing an essay on Hamlet and im not sure how to start it..Help please!?
11-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Im doing an essay on Hamlet and im not sure how to start it..Help please!?
The question I chose is:
"Consider how the nature of self-preseservation has been reflected and developed in Shakesperes Hamlet. Discuss the ideas developed by Shakespere about the roll that self-presevation plays when individuals respond to competing demands."

Help would be great!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 04:35 PM

That's a tough question. The only thing I can think of is Gertrude's character--she seems to go with the choice that's safest for her no matter what might be right. Here's what Sparknotes says about her:
"The Gertrude who does emerge clearly in Hamlet is a woman defined by her desire for station and affection, as well as by her tendency to use men to fulfill her instinct for self-preservation—which, of course, makes her extremely dependent upon the men in her life. Hamlet’s most famous comment about Gertrude is his furious condemnation of women in general: “Frailty, thy name is woman!” (I.ii.146). This comment is as much indicative of Hamlet’s agonized state of mind as of anything else, but to a great extent Gertrude does seem morally frail. She never exhibits the ability to think critically about her situation, but seems merely to move instinctively toward seemingly safe choices, as when she immediately runs to Claudius after her confrontation with Hamlet."

Also, Hamlet lets his self-preservation conquer his morality when he sends Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to their deaths. And Claudius shows self-preservation by trying to get Hamlet secretly killed.

Oh, this is interesting--somebody wrote this on Facebook: "Hamlet cannot cope with abandonment by another person who matters to him; so Hamlet pushes Ophelia away first by declaring he never loved her - a desperate means of self-preservation. Because Hamlet loved Ophelia, just as he loved his mother and father - who betrayed and left him , respectively, Hamlet could not endure the pain of another person he cares about leaving him. He alters his perception of Ophelia and degrades her so it is easier for Hamlet to part from her." I'm not sure if you can make that one work.

That's all I've got. Good luck.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply