This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What's the best way to keep in touch with friends and relatives?
11-09-2012, 04:27 PM
What's the best way to keep in touch with friends and relatives?
The social networks like Facebook are popular with so many. Text messages are more common that phone calls. Handwritten letters are extremely rare. I'm wondering if these modern ways of keeping in touch are too superficial to be meaningful. Perhaps I'm being just being old fashioned and need to adapt?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 04:36 PM

Borrow some money or a cherished item from them , they will contact you on a regular basis.

Ads

Always attend marriages and funerals. You will see them all there from time to time. Then one time you won't see them but they'll see you.

I think we are headed for an anti social society. I don't want anything to do with Facebook, and I will not text, though I do know how. I just got off the phone calling a friend to wish her a happy birthday. I think sometimes to hear a voice is nice, better yet, to go see someone. So many people are busy anymore, they don't make or take the time to socialize as in the past. We can only get caught up in all the technology type correspondences if we allow it. Once in awhile, I still hand write a letter, but it is rare. If I want a more personal contact with the person, I call them or visit. I'm sure we are seeing the direction this is going with less human contact. You can never tell by an email or a text, exactly how a person is feeling. Hearing it in their voice sometimes tells you much more. Just my opinion.

I'm finding that emails do the trick for me. I have a gardening forum that I visit often and some of us email almost daily. Even though we have never met we have been email friends for almost 14 years through the forum and we know all about each others kids, husbands, wives, mothers, fathers, etc. We have even watched the kids grow up, go to college, get married, and now have children of their own. So much fun.

Find a website that you like and go to their forums. You will find lots of people to talk with.

I tried facebook at the urging of others.Never again.I don't text and will not answer texts.I don't know what twitter is and don't care to find out.I use my phone to make or receive calls only.I rarely email but do sometimes.I keep in touch by telephone or in person.

I like Facebook but only to keep up with some of my relatives and as tool in my job search.

For people who have did special favors for me I think a handwritten note is so much better.

I refuse to text and I prefer to email my sisters for economic reasons.

Is till write letters to a few friends, ii I cannot do it on line then it has to be a letter as I am deaf and would rather not keep saying What Eh.

I use the telephone (land line) and email.

I don't do Facebook even though my kids do. "We gotta get you signed up" says my wonderful DIL. It's how we all keep in touch.

I don't do Facebook. Frankly, I don't need to check up on my kids every day. I sure don't want them checking up on me everyday. We've never failed to be able to contact one another when something important happens.

I don't suppose there's anything wrong with it, but when I was looking at it with my DIL, it seemed to me that too many people had access to what their family was up to. I don't think that's for me.

Call me an old poop--I'm fine with that.

Hi Miz D, good to see you back.

I seem to have lost the knack of handwritten letter writing, sad really as I always loved to receive something personally written to me.

All I send these days are greetings and thank you cards.

I don't subscribe to facebook or any other social networks just SC's on here.

I do however like to phone my family and friends and occasionally email them
but I agree it's not quite the same as a nicely written personal letter.