This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is it with girls making pouty faces in pictures?
11-09-2012, 04:31 PM
What is it with girls making pouty faces in pictures?
I'm friends with some high school aged girls on facebook (most of them relatives, though distant) and a few of them when taking their picture make a pouty face. They do a lip pucker kinda deal and twist their lips to the side.

Pouty sure ain't purty. What's the deal with it?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 04:39 PM

They think it's sexy

Ads

It's a form of a "duck face" that typical teens tend to do along with taking out of focus snapshots of themselves at arms length in a messy bedroom/bathroom.

New research has found this to be related to a lack of certain brain cell development dealing with "common sense". It is a primitive "monkey see, monkey do" response instead of cognitive reasoning...."since other people do it, it MUST be cool"

http://antiduckface.com/

you are not alone in your thinking

Actually, what is it with people taking pictures of themselves in general? They use a cheap digital point-and-shoot camera or a cell phone and hold it at arm's length and take a blurry snapshot of themselves. Or of course there's the infamous, lame MySpace picture where they take a crappy snapshot in front of a bathroom mirror.

And really, this is all relatively new. It only started when digital cameras became popular. There was no such thing as emo kids taking crappy pictures of themselves until digital point-and-shoot cameras became popular. The internet was a much better place back then. You sure as heck wouldn't have done that with film. In fact, back when most people were still using film (and that was less than 10 years ago!) people would have thought you were an idiot if you took pictures like that. Even kids. They would have thought you were a complete retard who didn't even know how to use a camera.

But now...well, I guess being stupid is "cool." Actually, I blame digital cameras for the whole emo fad to begin with. It feeds into narcicissm. No one would have thought to take pictures of themselves sitting in a corner looking sad and pouting to try to get attention, before digital cameras became popular. You never would have thought to do that with film because every shot literally cost money, so you tended to be little more careful about what pictures you take so you wouldn't waste film. But with digital cameras, it's as if they think "oh kewl, I can take pictures whenever I want so I'm just going to take pictures of MYSELF all day!" Talk about narcicissm.

I sure as heck don't remember seeing the duckface until fairly recently too. Quack quack.