This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do members of new Protestant churches feel they need to post their prayers on facebook?
11-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Do members of new Protestant churches feel they need to post their prayers on facebook?
Like "Father God, thank you for your mercy... (yada yada yada)". Isn't that supposed to be between them and God? Why post it on facebook? I really find the whole thing cheesy. It's a total turn off.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 04:57 PM

Meh. People post all sorts of tacky personal things on facebook. Religious people shouldn't be picked on for their weird thing they do. Tongue

Ads

It is good to give thanks to God always. Nothing can be more cheesy than persons on FB advertising everything about their personal human relationships. From the rising of he sun, ill the going down of the same, let the name of Yahweh be praised!

I agree. Hide the person from your page. That's what I would do. I don't like sanctimonious people.

Well , it is cheesy but sometimes it is inspiring IF you are inclined toward prayer.
It stirs you toward prayer and sometimes we feel stuck.
You are correct that Jesus said to go into your closet and pray secretly and your Father will reward you openly. It is a prompt to say don't go around showing everyone how spiritually dynamic you think you are.
On the other side of the coin, is the fact that some people believe the only prayers worth praying are something in the King James English. My father in law prays over our meals like this:
I thank thee Father that thou hast given us thou bountiful blessings ..
See that seems like the hokey pokey to me because he never talks like that in real life.
There is a balance here somewhere between posting your prayers on the internet so folks will agree with you or only praying when you take family meals once a year in Elizabethan English.
He is Amish Mennonite . I guess I am eclectic independent since I don't attend anywhere formally.

"HE WILL MAGNIFY THE LAW AND MAKE IT HONOURABLE."
____Isaiah 42:21

In nothing, perhaps, was this more strikingly fulfilled than in the manner of sabbath observance. .....Christ removed all the numerous traditional regulations and senseless restrictions and restored the SABBATH to its proper place AS A DAY OF WORSHIP, of contemplation of God, a day for doing acts of charity and mercy. Thus He magnified it and made it honourable. One of the most prominent features of Christ's ministry was this work of sabbath reform. CHRIST DID NOT ABOLISH OR CHANGE THE SABBATH; but He did rescue it from the rubbish of tradition, false ideas, and superstitutions by which it had been degraded. Jesus said in Mark 2:27 "the Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath." He showed that it was to minister to the happiness and well-being of both man and beast.