This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My alternate e-mail address in Hotmail has been used to create a Yahoo ID which I don't know...?
11-09-2012, 05:01 PM
My alternate e-mail address in Hotmail has been used to create a Yahoo ID which I don't know...?
I have an alternate e-mail address which I use regularly for unprofessional-related things, like gaming, newsletters, FanFiction.net, FictionPress.com, Facebook, and my blog. But just a while ago (about 8:50 PM) I received the following e-mail:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Password Changed
Your Yahoo! ID is: ‎rh*******ah‎

Your password for this account has recently been changed. You donʼt need to do anything, this message is simply a notification to protect the security of your account.

Please note: your new password may take awhile to activate. If it doesnʼt work on your first try, please try it again later

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE. For further help or to contact support, please see http://help.yahoo.com/help/edit/
You can always change your password by doing the following:

1. Sign in to any Yahoo! service
2. Click on any "My Account" link
3. Choose "Change Password"

If you cannot find a "My Account" link, you can sign in to My Yahoo! (http://my.yahoo.com) and youʼll find it in the upper left corner

....Uh....??? ( . __ . )

I don't ever remember making any Yahoo ID similar to the semi-censored on here (the one I'm currently posting with is my only one), nor have I related my Hotmail address to anything under Yahoo, only Google accounts for my blog and YT account. Has my Hotmail been hacked? What should I do?

Though, I don't really understand WHY someone would want to hack it... I'm only a high school student in my senior year who likes to write, draw, play the violin, and sing. Nothing is effecting me financially, but I'm worried that someone might be impersonating me through my Hotmail.

Feedback is much appreciated.
@Casca
I don't think you understood my question. This is regarding an account which is NOT MINE made under a Hotmail e-mail account which indeed belongs to me. And I would never for a second think about clicking any of the hyperlinks. Although the e-mail appears to be from Yahoo, I don't trust it. I suspect a fishing scam of some sort.

For obvious security reasons, I only give the bare minimum amount of information needed for all of my accounts -- even then, for informal accounts like Hotmail, the information is falsified to a certain degree.

Nevertheless, I checked my account settings for any extraneous info, such as alternate e-mails that weren't mine, found nothing, and changed my password (which has also been done within the last 30 days). I'm still a bit concerned, however, while knowing that someone out there on the internet is using my Hotmail e-mail as a Yahoo ID...
phishing*
Darn iPhone auto-correct...

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 05:10 PM

First, I hope you are smart enough to never give yahoo/hotmail, or anyone online that is not for anything IMPORTANT any real info, always lie.
Second, go into your mail accounts, and change your passwords. Do not use the link provided in that email, log into the official site. Make sure there are no alternate emails that you are unaware of, if there are, delete them, change your security questions/answers, and passwords.

OK, you are probably right about the phishing scam, and that's all it was. I would think that someone might want your username, but it was already in use by you at yahoo, so they would of coarse try that username at a different email, but that does not explain why you would get an email informing you of the new email with the same username as your yahoo. I believe, as you do, that it was just a phishing attempt, ignore it.

Ads

11-09-2012, 05:10 PM

If your hotmail account has been blocked or hacked, you can get help at
http://www.hotmailhelp.co.uk
My Hotmail account was blocked last thursday, but I got it working normally on saturday with their help.