This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Should A Teacher Lose Their Job For Complaining About Work On Twitter?
11-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Should A Teacher Lose Their Job For Complaining About Work On Twitter?
At my school one of our teachers got fired because of something she said on her Twitter account.

A student managed to find her Twitter page and then sent it to other students who then had their parents see it.

The teacher wrote something like "God, the f*ckin kids I have to deal with... ugh" and "I can't take it no more here lol... when will the week end?"

Parents complained to the head of the school and the teacher was let go.

What do you think about this?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 05:23 PM

Well with the first comment I think they should have let her go. I mean the second can be taken as a joke, but it's her job to teach those kids, not complain about them. If I found out a teacher was complaining about my kids I'd say something, that's rude and disrespectful.

Ads

I agree with FrakenJudo. There have been many cases of teachers being fired over things found on their Facebook/Myspace pages.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sourc...f&oq=&aqi=

That's stupid.
It's not as if she's saying it out loud, or singling anyone out for annoying her.

So, no, she shouldn't be fried. Kids tweet about more stupid shit then that all the time. Why should it be different just because she's a teacher. She's also human, and has feelings.

Sheer stupidity.

Sorry, if a teacher is that stupid and that hateful of her students, there's no way she should teach children.

Most professionals now, especially doctors, nurses, teachers and lawyers in particular, know better than to use facebook, twitter or myspace. It comes back to bite you.

no way! kids complain bout work and dont get kicked out of school! please answer mine, http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?...101AA0AKij

I am sure the other staff members feel the same way at times, the only difference is that they don't post it on twitter. I don't think they should have let her go, but I don't belong to the school board.

I've been around many teachers. I know what they go through and the kind of kids they have to deal with. So my answer is no she should not have been fired. She was venting during her own time, maybe she had had a really bad day. She did not single out any one student, so I think the parents were making a big deal out of nothing. Kids write crap like that on their myspace, facebook, and Twitter pages all the time only worse and no they don't always get suspended or expelled. If this student had never gone snooping around and re-posting what the teacher had said, no one would have been the wiser.

So again, no I do not believe the teacher should have been fired. Maybe they should have had her issue an apology to the students and parents, but they went over board with having her fired.

On a side note maybe this wasn't the teachers first offense... They could have had issues with her in the past, in that case I could justify the firing, but other than that no.

Ya I think it's good they canned her.

When will people learn that when you post crap on the internet...it is always there for ANYONE to see.

So people shouldn't post things there that they wouldn't want certain people to see.

She was #1 Incredibly stupid #2 totally unprofessional #3 asking for trouble by bitching in a public forum frequented by kids that would likely seek her out.

As a child of a teacher I can tell you it's very rare to find teachers that haven't at some point in their teaching career felt the same way. It's a hard job and most are underpaid as well as a lot of schools being underfunded making it that much harder to teach. BUT, really? Twitter? Does NO ONE learn? Unless you've been living under a rock the last five years or so you should know that NOTHING put on the internet is private and that you probably WILL be effected negatively for comments like that. I wouldn't want someone that dumb teaching my kids even if they were little hellions. It's fine to vent your frustrations, everyone has a bad week/day/year or whatever, but most people with half a brain will vent to a spouse, a friend that doesn't work in the same place, a relative, or a journal (I mean a real one...using pen/pencil and paper) not the internet. Maybe she shouldn't have gotten fired but there are consequences to our actions the school gave a consequnce that they thought was suitable for her stupidity and now she has to deal with it.