This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do you deal with a relative on Facebook who undermines everything you do by...?
11-09-2012, 05:28 PM
How do you deal with a relative on Facebook who undermines everything you do by...?
... posting their own overachievements. (Example: I may post that I spent a couple of hours donig yardwork, but then he'll turn around and post something like he moved 3,000 pounds of dirt by shovel by himself). This happens every time, and I love the guy (he is my brother-in-law), but I am sick of it to the point where I am thinking about blocking his status posts. Am I overreacting?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 05:36 PM

block him for a while and see what that does or you could just try talking to him and ask why he does it

Ads

First figure out why you feel the need to boast on Facebook.... oh... you say you don't.... well he most likely feels the same way..... but you both are... that is what it is all about... sounds like he is just better at it and you don't like that....

live your life in real life... not on Facebook

Ignore them and continue posting as you normally would. It will quickly become apparent to anyone reading both posts what this person is doing. It takes two to compete, so if you ignore this the other person will soon lose interest and stop doing it. You could also talk to the person in voice or in person to compliment them on their accomplishments and explain that there is room for more than one "expert" on each area in life.

Do yourself a favour and deactivate your account.

It sounds like he is trying to out do you in everything that you accomplish. The guy sounds jealous and petty. I agree with CG that you should compliment on him for what he does because this will show that his tactics at competing went right over your head. Depending on what type of person he is he will either accept it and stop it because he gets no reaction or he'll be angry at the fact that you didn't let it get to you. Ignore it when he does it and only read it to congratulate him.

Facebook has a feature now where you can exclude certain people from your update. Try leaving him out a few times and you can have your update all to yourself. I think it's a sign of insecurity to always have to "one up" someone. I deal with someone like that at work. I can't even mention that I was a little busy...

Oops! I'm doing what your relative does. Hijacking! Wink

I don't have family members on mine