This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can a parent release your medical records from before you are 18 after you turn 18?
11-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Can a parent release your medical records from before you are 18 after you turn 18?
My parents want to release my medical records to someone I don't want them to from before I was 18, is this legal?
They still have my records prior to turning 18. I'm much older now (10+ years) and they want to release them to a 3rd party without my consent.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 05:46 PM

NOPE

Ads

Before your 18 yes it's legal because they have control over your health and anything relating to it. However, you could tecknically fight it in court. After your 18 though they cannot even have access to your records unless you give them permission.
It's dumb I know!

It probably is, since they paid for the visits. But I think you could probably stop them by asking the doctor not to release them.

There is no law against it. Your parents are not held to HIPAA (Health privacy laws). Only medical professionals are. I cannot imagine why they would want to against your will. I would tell them that if they do, that you would follow up with telling any and all secrets that you know about them on Facebook and Twitter.

WTF are they thinking?

Now, by release them, I am referring to them sharing what they have evidence of or know. Any doctor, etc. that release them to your parents at this point is in clear violation of HIPAA

The HIPAA privacy rule applies to "covered entitites", which are hospitals and most doctor's offices. Your parents are not a covered entity.

If they already have information about you, they can tell people, and in reality there isn't much you can do to stop them unless you have 50 grand to hire a lawyer for a lawsuit. If they are getting medical information about you now, call the hospital or doctor's office and tell them that you are 18 years of age, and they should not be sharing any PHI (protected health information).