This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Divorce do you keep in contact with your ex spouse family?
11-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Divorce do you keep in contact with your ex spouse family?
Hello me and my wife are in the process of getting a divorce. I am very good friends with her brothers and sister. Do you think I should cut them off when the divorce is over, are you still friends with your ex family members? All of them are on my facebook profile that how we keep in touch.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 05:48 PM

That depends on the people involved, There in no legal restrictions unless someone seeks a court order against it.

Ads

Ask your soon to be ex-wife about how she feels about you staying in contact with them, or ask the brothers/sister themselves how they would feel about still staying in touch. It really depends on other peoples' opinion in this situation!

I kept in contact with my ex husbands family, however, that changed when I remarried, and it was their choice.

They were upset that I remarried. Turns out, they were hoping I would go back to my ex! Haha! Not in a million, they should have known.

If you end up moving on, these things don't go too well historically.

Well I haven't been married or divorce but my parents did and my mom still stayed in contact with some of my dads family. Because after you've known them for so long it would seem kind of insulting to just cut them out of your life. Especially if you've grown very fond of some of them. But if the divorce is a intense fight then I would say you might want to just for the sake of keeping the peace.

no way. they are as crazy as he is. lol.

I guess it would depend on the circumstances surrounding the divorce. I still speak with my ex-inlaws regularly & will be visiting them in a couple of months with my child. We always got a long well.

I let my ex-inlaws make the call on whether to stay in touch. That would probably be a good idea in your case as well. If they want to stay in touch, why not?

my ex sister in law often calls around for a coffee and a chat to me and also to my parents she is still family as far as we are concerned
even though they have been divorced for nearly twenty years

I don't see a reason to cut them off if the divorce is amicable and you are on friendly terms w/the family.

I personally wouldn't give a rats @ss if i ever saw my ex's family again. They spread some horrible lies during our divorce, it's a wonder my ex and i are friends today because of it, but i had to try and leave things reasonably friendly for my son's sake.

It all depends on the reason for the divorce and if there was a lot of animosity involved or it was amicable.

My partner is still in touch with his ex-wife's family. He was part of that family for almost 20 years and still gets along great with her mother and brother. But they didn't have a nasty divorce - they married too early and just grew apart and the divorce was mutual. He also still sees his ex-wife and her new husband on occasions since they have so many friends in common - so if a friend is getting married or having a christening, they will both be there and can be civil to each other.

But if a divorce was nasty or one-sided I can't imagine the ex-wife would be happy with her ex continuing to be friends with her family.