This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Where do I find good quality information about home schooling?
11-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Where do I find good quality information about home schooling?
I tried doing a search in google but it brings up so much and I just don't know where to start. I have a ways to go yet being that my son is 20 months old but I figure it is better to have a plan. Besides the school system is really scaring me and I would like to now my option other than expensive private school. Thank you.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 05:52 PM

I started looking into homeschooling my kids when my oldest was almost 2. The best thing I did was speak to other homeschoolers.

Our church had a few homeschooling families so I became close with the mothers & kids. Some invited me over to watch them work. Plus when bible studies were held in their homes I saw the kids at times join in. I was very impressed. I talked and talked to them nonstop. I read books they recommended. Learned from their mistakes and complaints & that in itself gaves me all the info I needed to know I was correct in wanting to homeschool.

Books are a great way to learn about homeschooling but the problem I saw was you get one sided information. Meeting with real homeschooling families shows you the different ways to learn, the set up in their homes and how they work to learn.

I had other friends doing the same. One friend complained about a family who was way to relaxed but I actually liked that idea. I didn't want school to be a chores. Another family I saw seemed to push their kids so hard the oldest daughter took to cheating from her moms lesson books. Another family used only books they got from the library and the internet to learn. I saw a big mix of how you can teach your kids at home.

Most homeschool groups I know welcome new homeschoolers or just those who are curious. Just go to Google & type in your city, state & homeschool groups. Email them and let them know you are interested in learning about homeschooling.

One of my first steps I took was joining a large local group. But quickly that group wasn't right for me. It felt awkward, too many rules and they wanted a monthly fee. Another group was brand new and just started. It was only 3 families and I was the 4th. I knew that small group was for me.

Also some area homeschool groups have a Facebook page, email group and/or a website. You can sit back at home and read about what other homeschoolers are saying or about get togethers. Some meet weekly at parks or the library.

Jump in and get your feet wet. Be ready too for a flood of information. It is very over whelming but you are starting early like I did do you should do fine.

We've homeschooled now for almost 10yrs & I am still learning things. I still doubt myself at times too. But I know this is the path God wants us on.

One last thing. Learn your local laws on homeschooling. That is a must.
http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp
Just click on your state

Ads

11-09-2012, 05:52 PM

http://www.hslda.org
http://www.mache.org