This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What age would you let your daughter? it for a survey?
11-09-2012, 05:45 PM
What age would you let your daughter? it for a survey?
Parents AND teens question.
At what age would you let your daughter...
have a facebook account.
have cell phones.
wear makeup and jewelry.
have boyfriends.
go shopping by themselves.
have their own computers,TVs ect.
have no bedtime.
pick out their own clothes.
also when you answer make sure you put if your a parent or teen.
Thanks for helping.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 05:53 PM

When she moved out. Until then, Imma go Amish in her. I'm a "teen".

Ads

I'm a teen. Cellphone: 13 make-up and jewelry: light make up in earlier ages, actual make-up at 14
boyfriends: 15 shopping:15 own comp, tv: depends on the maturity of the person
bedtime: 16 own clothes: 13 with some restrictions

I am a mom of 3 and two are girls. My oldest is nine now. she has a facebook account, but I monitor it all the time. She has a pre paid cell phone, but I have rules about it and she pays for the minutes with her chore money. She is allowed to wear a tiny bit of makeup on special events and she loves jewelry. Wears that all the time. LOL. all these things she started doing this year. Now for a boyfriend I would have to say it depends on how mature she is, but not before 15. 15 to go shopping. Ummm not sure about TVS and computers depends on how she would treat them. Have no bedtime around 14/15. If she is going to school all the time and getting her stuff done without being way to tired. pick clothes without my help 15.

At what age did you have permission to do all that?
Did you like those rules?
Do you want to be the same to your daughter the way your parents were with you?
Did you want to have fun in your teen years but your parents really dint let you do nothing at all? Think about how you live your teen years.
Do you want your daughter to live her teen years the way you did?

Then you decide the age you think you should let her have all those privileges.

Facebook-whenever she wants one, warn her of the dangers, and monitor it if you are worried
Cellphone-11 to 12, this should be about the time she starts going off by herself, so you will need to be able to contact her
Makeup and jewelry-11 to 12, you don't want her to grow up too fast, but she will like to feel mature
Have boyfriends- whenever the time comes, let her, because you will not want her sneaking behind your back. Just keep and eye on her
Shopping-12 to 13, make sure she has a cellphone and that she goes with a friend, she will have fun doing this
Computers and Tvs- 11 to 12, as long as her activities are safe there is no harm
Bedtime-12, she should be mature enough to know when or when not she needs sleep
Pick out clothes- 9 to 11, this will teach her to be more self sufficient

Parent: Note, this applies to our son as well.

have a facebook account. - Family facebook account that they can access as well as us from 13+, his/her own as responsibility is shown, probably around 16, but it will be removed if we see something inappropriate.

have cell phones. - Family cell phone that they can borrow from age as needed. It's not their own though, they can have their own when they move out. At this time we have no cell phone, only a land-line, but I know that will probably change as they get up. However, I have issue with people thinking teens need their own phone, and like the idea of a family phone even if it's a cell.

wear makeup and jewelry. - Make up- 15 years old. Jewelry, whenever, but piercing of the ear-lobes for my daughter at 14-15 years old (maybe 12 if she begs) but not for my son. He can wear non-piercing/inoffensive jewelry though, but will wait for a piercing when he moves out. He can do what he wants with his hair though.

have boyfriends. - 14 they can go to dances. 16 they can have mixed group dates but not pair off. 18 they can have actual serious dates.

go shopping by themselves. - Depends on the store. I mean, at 12 I hope to send them into a grocery store with a list and some cash and let them shop. But if you mean the mall, then probably 15-16.

have their own computers,TVs ect. - when they move out, though they may have a computer of their own it will never be in their room and never where they don't have to share with anyone if need arises. I just like the idea of them having to share computers even if we have enough that everyone can have their own, no 'private' computer.

have no bedtime. - when they move out they can set their own. I have a bedtime and I'm an adult.

pick out their own clothes. - within prescribed limits, my 3 year old picks out her own clothes now. But they have to meet family standards. That will continue until they move out.

My daughter is 17, and these are the ages she did those things:

Facebook: 7th grade (age 12-13)

First Cell Phone: summer before she started middle school (age 12)

Makeup: in 7th grade (age 12/13) she could wear very light makeup (mainly just mascara and light lipgloss). Gradually allowed to wear more.

Jewelry: ears pierced at age 10, but only allowed to wear studs until 6th grade. In middle school, she could wear small hoops/dangly earrings. By high school, she could wear whatever jewelry she wants (but I don't allow any piercings besides one hole in each ear).

Boyfriends: she had a "boyfriend" in 3rd grade, and they are still together at age 17. Unusual situation. I'm really not sure what I would've allowed if it hadn't evolved that particular way.

Shopping by herself: Middle school, but I stayed in the mall somewhere. High school, totally by themselves. But it really depends on the location.

Own computer: She got a laptop when she started high school. Still doesn't have a TV in her room, because I'm really against that (I'd rather she read a book in bed than fall asleep to some dumb reality show).

No Bedtime: High school, I guess? She's always been too busy with sports, club meetings & homework to warrant a set bedtime; she just goes to sleep when she's finished with everything.

Pick out own clothes: She's always been allowed to pick out her clothes, as long as I don't have any huge objections to them.

have a facebook account.
12 but I'd have to have the password to keep a eye on her
have cell phones.
8 but just for emergencies and stuff.
wear makeup and jewelry.
have boyfriends.
go shopping by themselves.
have their own computers,TVs ect.
8 with supervision
have no bedtime.
pick out their own clothes.
also when you answer make sure you put if your a parent or teen.

teen - 17

I'm a teen (18) and these aren't so much based on when I was allowed these things but what I actually think would be appropriate for my own daughter when I have one.

have a facebook account – if she wants one, as soon as she’s the minimum age

have cell phones – probably around primary school age, whenever she starts going places without me more often. She doesn’t get a contract phone until secondary school though.

wear makeup – whenever she wants to although I wouldn’t let her wear too much while still young.

jewelry – whenever she wants to except at school unless the rules say it is okay, although I wouldn’t let her wear anything too expensive to school. As for piercings, ears she can have whenever she decides she wants them, for anything else 16.

have boyfriends – whenever she feels she’s ready for it

go shopping by themselves – this will depend on how mature she is and how far she wants to go, probably around the time she starts secondary school in most cases.

have their own computers, TVs ect – as soon as I can afford to buy them for her but I will use those security things on the internet so that she doesn’t get onto any sites that aren’t appropriate.

have no bedtime – Depends, she doesn’t have to have a bed time during holidays and when it isn’t a school night but when it is a school night she will have one until leaving secondary school.

pick out their own clothes – as soon as she is old enough too, as long as it isn’t too inappropriate (for example, if I’m not letting my young child wear miniskirts and such)