This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Who would you like to be the torchbearer for the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver?
11-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Who would you like to be the torchbearer for the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver?
I saw this group on facebook that would like to have Betty Fox (Terry Fox's mother) as the torchbearer for the 2010 Winter Olympics. Since this section has more Canadians I am asking it here. Who would you like to see be the torchbearer for the 2010 Winter Olympics?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 06:21 PM

Mini Me

Ads

I think a Mrs. Fox would be an ok choice, but I would prefer someone who is more into the athletic world. Perhaps someone from the Canadian Junior Hockey Team?

Betty Fox would be a good choice, but so would one of the Native American hockey players. Not sure if any of them would make the team, but I'm sure Cheechoo is one of the best natives. Price might fit the category but I'm not too sure.

Being part Indigenous myself I like Bob S's insight.
Price would be a more logical choice because he's Aboriginal from BC (of the Ulkatcho nation I think?) otherwise Gino Odjick (who is Algonquin) might work as he's contributed a lot to the Native cause in that province and is a former Canucks player.

Rick Hansen and the Fox family should all carry the torch together, since their causes are part of Canada's history.
But yeah, I like the Carey Price idea as well.

Sean Avery.

Cliff Ronning

I assume you're talking about the person to actually light the Olympic flame (the last person in the relay); great question, btw.

It should be someone from Canadian sport, ideally with an Olympic angle.

Is that person Betty Fox? Probably not, but Vanoc needs to have her a part of the Opening Ceremony. Featured prominently.

My person to light the Olympic Flame is Wayne Gretzky.

He played for the 1998 Olympic Team, and was the GM for the 2002 Olympic Team that won a Gold Medal (I believe he was also GM for the 2006 Olympic Team).

He is an icon of Canadian Sport. I know he's not from Vancouver, but his sporting and Olympic pedigree line up.

What about Gordie Howe?