This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How can I convince my sister not to become a photographer?
11-09-2012, 06:15 PM
How can I convince my sister not to become a photographer?
My younger sister has been getting into photography lately (just like every other high school girl) and I don't know if her pictures of babies and horses and crap are better than anyone else's but man there is nothing more annoying than seeing another "insert any name here photography" page on Facebook every 5 seconds. I personally am a welder/bartender by trade and have tried to get her into both of these activities but she hasn't shown much interest. What can I do?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 06:24 PM

Right now she can't afford photography... so no worries.

show her this http://www.nppa.org/professional_develop...dbcalc.cfm

show her this http://youarenotaphotographer.com/

Ask her if her photos look as good as these: http://500px.com/

Ads

Is a good hubby to be a photographer. I leave her alone as long as she love is the best for her

leave her to find her own way...

Educate her as to what good photography is and have her compare her images to those of real pros. Go buy a few high end magazines that reflect her interests (babies, ponies, yada) - point out the differences between her photos and the professional ones. Encourage her to actually learn photography - the technical requirements, composition, and talk to her about the fact she is no where near ready to start a business (oh thank you!) but is only beginning to learn the subtle and difficult discipline of photography.

With teenagers, once they find out how hard photography actually is, they often wander off somewhere else.

I get the idea that you have your sister's best interests in mind. However, you need to let her march to the beat of her own drum. Young folks try out a lot of things before they settle on those that will become long-term commitments. That's what they're SUPPOSED to do. Your criticism is an attempt to narrow her choices. That's bad. I think you should encourage her. Buy her a book about photography so that she'll be better than the others.

Everybody who starts on a new interest is not very good in the beginning. Many of your sister's cohort will lose interest in photography. Others will advance to more admirable work. You can't say which way she will go. So cut her some slack.

You can leave her alone to make her own decisions.
Why on earth do you think she should be a welder or bartender instead of a photographer?

I worked for a modelling agency for years spending all day playing with drop dead gorgeous models.
Hmmmm giving that up to do welding or serving drinks to rowdy alcoholics hmmm I don't think so.

It's not your decision to make. You discouraging her isn't going to suddenly get rid of all of those "'insert any name here photography' pages on Facebook." All it will do is make her not trust you and not want to be around you because you are making her dream feel invalid. Let her do it and let her either succeed or fall flat on her face. It's her life and she needs to make her own mistakes.

You need to get out of bartending AND welding. Those are nowhere jobs and I'm tired of hearing everyone say "I'm a bartender", "I'm a welder". See how silly that sounds?

Let your sister do what she enjoys. If it's not for her, she'll figure it out herself. A good photographer can easily make FAR more money than a bartender or welder. Let her find her way just like you did.