This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Self-absorbed (Facebook) Generation question?
11-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Self-absorbed (Facebook) Generation question?
Hi everyone, i'm writing a paper about how this generation is the "Facebook Generation." Clearly facebook is a very popular social networking site and I am using this (along with twitter) to help defend my point that this generation is very selfish-ie updating status' and thinking that people actually care what a "facebook friend" is up to. ANYWAYS, my question is that I am looking for books/journals/articles etc. about how this generation is selfish. If anyone has any good sources, please share

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 06:32 PM

Obviously this is the facebook generation because it is a fairly new social networking site. All facebook is to users is a source of gossip, bullying and a chance to tell as many people what your doing in a short space of time.

I personally dislike facebook and other similar sites, I think it is such an invasion of privacy and so false, no one really has more than a hundred friends and even people who don't actually like or know you will add you to increase their friends list just to compete in the popularity stakes.

Admittedly it has its uses, you get up to date news and its a fast way to talk, but I'm not a major fan of broadcasting my personal life. Jess 17

Ads

11-09-2012, 06:32 PM

This probably isn't the answer you want, but you're not going to find any books, journals, or respected articles about how this generation is selfish because there's no evidence to support that, or at least no evidence to support that this generation is any more selfish than previous ones. If Facebook were around 60 years ago, your grandmother would have probably posted status updates and written on people's walls as well.

Also, the desire to be paid attention and to be heard and feel important is almost universal, no matter what age. Facebook, Twitter, etc are merely new vehicles to fill this need. I suggest you change your hypothesis (that this generation is exceptionally selfish) for your paper because it's going to be almost impossible to support with evidence.