This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Should I expect "the talk" in an adult relationship?
11-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Should I expect "the talk" in an adult relationship?
I am seeing someone who is 29 (I am 23). We have a lot of chemistry and it seems like it’s going somewhere. We’ve only been on a few dates, but since this is the “oldest” person I’ve ever dated, I am curious as to what happens about the exclusive, boyfriend-girlfriend talk. I’m not exactly expecting him to request me to be his girlfriend on Facebook.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 06:48 PM

HUH!

Ads

Do YOU want it to go farther than dating? If so, talk to him. Make sure you know what he wants, if being his girlfriend is even possible, before you fall for him any more than you already have. If he doesnt want anything serious, it will save you some future heartbreak.

be open and honest and just say - I think we have a lot of chemistry and I'd like to make our relationship exclusive to one another and not date anyone else.

I know how you feel. Im 25 & "talking to" a 35 year old. I have wondered the same thing.
The best advice I was given.. If you arent sure after about 3 months or so, then just ask him if yall are together or not.
The only bad thing about not knowing is, that if you ever catch him with another girl, you almost cant get mad cause yall never had the TALK (at least that is what I have been told).
Good luck!!

umm may u elaborate on what the bf-gf talk is? what do you mean by it?

no just enjoy there is really no "the talk" in a relationship

Some guys will bring it up, some won't. Girls can bring up the subject too. Its always nice to know where you stand. The trick is how to bring it up!

I generally inquire about this after about two weeks of dating if this is someone I would like to be monogamous with and continue dating.
Some like to have that question before there is any sort of sexual contact to be safe.
I typically say, that I am not seeing anyone else, nor am I sleeping with anyone else and that I don't want to or plan on it and I wait to see if the other person agrees with this and we are on the same page and can discuss it further. If not, it might be worth talking about a week or two from then to see if the other feels differently.
If you both don't feel the same way, then you might not be right for dating each other.

Well, most people have a discussion on where the relationship is going if they are smart. Don't worry about it right now since you have only been on a few dates. You might freak him out if you ask him about it now. Just enjoy dating for a bit and relax. If it's meant to be then it will be. Screw the Facebook crap too by the way. That's just middle school stuff. Good luck with it all and don't worry so much. If it's going good then keep going in that direction. If you're still dating in a few months then sit down like adults and see about the nest step.