This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is it like working as a receptionist in a law firm?
11-09-2012, 07:11 PM

Well, you didn't specify how large of a law firm you will be working at. That is kind of key for any of us to be able to give you a better clue.

My secretary is considered the "office manager." She answers the phones, runs the books, runs payroll, orders the supplies, etc. It sounds like they are going to be training you to do the same thing. I work in a small firm with three attorneys, a law clerk, and me. The lone paralegal.

If their current secretary is leaving, she very well maybe training you the next two weeks. If not, one of the attorneys is probably going to do their best to make sure you have a clue.

Is it hard? Well, that is really relative. From what I observe, our secretary does a lot of sitting doing nothing. I am not saying she is lazy. She is the backbone to our firm. She is also the legal assistant to the primary partner, so she has to sit and wait for him to hand her work when she has completed all her other tasks. We aren't a formal firm so she Facebook's and browses the Internet a lot. She also has moments of stress when she has to stay after hours for something. Running payroll and running the bills are usually her busiest points in the day.

She has a lot of responsibility. She is expected to kind of know a little of everything. Do I think her job is "easy". Not particularly. I think she is really awesome and I couldn't do my job without her. It may not be "hard" work, but it is very important work and you will be expected to have a high level of professionalism. Good luck on Monday!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply