This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Im determined to learn Greek so i can actually speak to the larger side of my family and greek friends! Help?
11-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Im determined to learn Greek so i can actually speak to the larger side of my family and greek friends! Help?
Basically im half Greek, quarter Welsh and a quarter English but i prefer to say im Greek, I know a few phrases and words but i really want to learn more so i can understand and talk to my family as their english isnt too good, any tips? xx

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 07:15 PM

I know perfect Greek but am not sure what exactly you need to learn. Anyway here are a few tips:
1) Yiassou=hi/hello/goodbye
2) Ti kanis?=how are you doing?/what are you doing?
3)Kalimera/Kalinichta=Good-morning/Goodnight
4)Efcharisto/Parakalo=Thanks/Please

If you feel you need to learn something more specific ask, I'll just answer it anyway

Ads

Michel Thomas method helped me to learn French. Perhaps you could try with Greek.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Thomas_Method

You get proficient really very quickly. It's not the best for perfect grammar - or even to read text in the language - but if you need to be verbally understood in a hurry I haven't found anything better.

It's based around getting you to construct sentences and then perpetually extending them. He explains the use out of direct context and then you try and build a new sentence based on what you've heard ... he then follows with the correct structure as it should have been. Pretty soon you're nailing it. As you have Greek family the process should be even quicker.

Not pretty, but effective.

Here you can learn Greek language and even hear the speech
http://www.stars21.com/translator/

You can buy a book "beginner's greek" something like that, and make sure it provides a helping cd with the pronunciation aswell. You can also watch greek movies/series and listen to greek music. That can help you get more familiar with the language and get expressions.

If you are serious about it, get a Greek friend to teach it to you and try talking to him/her as much as possible only in Greek.

Hi, I am greek and was living in the UK for 4 years. I got excited and taught few friends some basic stuff. It all comes through practice, as with everything. Try to speak to someone either in the written or the oral form on a daily basis if possible. Facebook is very popular in Greece at the mo. Could you chat with relatives and friends?

For start you def need to learn the alphabet, phonemes and combinations of letters and their sounds: learn how to read in Greek.
For a good while it will be useful for Greek friends/fam to write in phonetic Greeklish rather than orthographised Greeklish; the latter won't be helpful for you (e.g. egho instead of egw-meaning 'I'; i guess you understand how to pronounce 'egho')

One of my English friends found it useful to write words on post-it notes and post them all around his room, the walls, the closet, everywhere. So, he had visual contact with the language regularly.

Listening to Greek songs and trying to learn the lyrics will improve your accent, fluency and will expand your vocabulary too Wink It should be more fun, if you enjoyed the music!!

Well these are a few informal still useful tips. Hope you find them effective Smile

Καλή επιτυχία=Kali epitikh`ia!! (=good luck)