This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it illegal for a parent to read email/texts/files if the child is 18 years old?
11-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Is it illegal for a parent to read email/texts/files if the child is 18 years old?
Mother demanded phone of their child, read every single text in it, took computer, read every single email, logged in to their facebook and read every single message. If the child is of 18 years of age, is this legal?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 07:15 PM

Yes, it's legal. She owns the phone and the computer. If her child doesn't give her the passwords, not much she can do about it besides grounding or whatever.

Sorry, I misread. i thought it said under 18. She can read it if the kid hands over the stuff. Or she can pull the if you live under my roof you live by my rules card. She doesn't have a legal obligation any more to provide room and board.

Ads

If the child handed the phone over, and gave the parent the passwords, or left the passwords stored in the computer, then yes it's legal. Tacky but legal.

Not if "Mother" pays the phone bill. Lol Not sure about Fb, but if the 18 yr old is graduated, then probably, same w/ email

if the child lives in their house yes.

It's her home and she can demand anything. But you are 18. There's only ONE demand that you must obey...her demand to get out. If your aren't happy, then move out.