This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I get over the "awkwardness" of coming out to people?
11-09-2012, 07:18 PM
How do I get over the "awkwardness" of coming out to people?
I have come out to a couple of very close friends via facebook, now I feel awkward towards them. I know they're going to want to talk about it and they're going to ask questions. How do I feel comfortable about it? I just don't feel comfortable talking about such personal matters which my sexuality happens to be the biggest one of all. I'm expecting phone calls tonight lol. How do I get through this?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 07:26 PM

Just be honest... if you are positive of your sexual orientation, then the answers should just come to you...

Ads

Don't make it into a serious event.

Just talk to someone like a normal person and when your boyfriend comes over just say "Oh, this is my boyfriend."

If someone assumes you're straight, just say "Oh, I'm gay." and get back witht he conversation.

It's natural for them to be curious (especially if they are straight) so there's no way around awkward situations. Just face it head-on and you'll get through it. Too serious questions should be private though and none of their business.

Just let time fo by. After a while it won't seem so awkward. I came out to my whole family when I was 15, it's been almost a year and it is still really awkward sometimes but for the most part it's ok.

there will definately be that awkwardness with your friends, but I think they just want to understand what happened in your life for you to reach this discovery about yourself. I would take a deep breath and dive in. After they learn and start to understand, or once that dialogue gets started, it will get easier for both of you.

yeah don't really make a big deal out of it.
Act as if you've done it a million times before, if you're awkward it'll make it awkward for them.

First address the akwardness short and sweetly. One sentence statement. Then make fun of yourself and the issuse. Comdey kills akwardness. If anything, ask them to express their feelings.

no worries if they are true friends they will understand that this isn't an easy thing to go though and its not awkward you just aren't used to being able to talk about it so freely trust me your doing an awesome thing and it will help you out in the long run stay strong and dont look back the closet sucks

Typical questions might be stuff like, "Are you sure?" or "How long have you known this?" or "Have you ever tried a good woman?" LOL.

Just breathe deeply, my friend.

-- Are you sure? Yes. It's like being sure that you are right-handed. You just know it inside.

--How long have you known this? (Whatever. Talk about the first time you found another boy attractive and how hard it has been for you to deal with being gay in a straight world.)

--Have you ever been with a hot girl? (I dunno if you have or not. If so, say yes and you really didn't like it. If no, then remind them it would be like asking them if they had ever tried gay sex with the right person of the same sex.)

-- How I explain it is that, it is a matter of passion and energy.

With a girl, I can snuggle with her, and it's fine, but I really don't want to be there for romantic purposes, and it actually is work for me to kiss a girl or be sexual with her. Whereas when I am with a guy snuggling or even hugging or touching, I'm like a battery hooked up to a charger -- I get energy.

For me, being gay means that guys give me energy and passion for life. I could snuggle with a guy for hours and keep on loving it. It is like the piece of a puzzle snapping into place -- it is just "right".

Your friends likely knew they were straight and that they liked people of the opposite sex years ago. They didn't have to try it to like it. They just KNEW. Same with you.

-- I doubt if people will bring up gay sex stuff. But if they do, remind them that most straight couples do oral sex and no one thinks that is bad. And tell them that sex is a personal thing and you don't wish to talk about details.

Even though this seems awkward -- consider that EVERYONE falls in love during their life. And almost EVERYONE also has sex during their life. And guess what -- THEY LOVE IT. And that includes your friends!

So, what you are sharing is not bad or dirty or shameful at all. It means you are a human being! A human being who happens to be gay and to fall in love with guys, not girls.

And that's okay. =)

Your friends love you, and they will stick by you. No worries.

Hugs!