This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Writers: Would you ever consider including emoticons in your writing?
11-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Writers: Would you ever consider including emoticons in your writing?
Have you ever thought about it?

I've been thinking, people use it so much these days.
I mean, emoticons became a part of modern life and writing, so to say. Maybe some other people find it annoying. But they can't deny that they mostly serve their purpose.
Emoticons serve the purpose of communication, just like words, but:

What do you think would be pros and cons to this idea?
Would that degrade literature? Why (not)?
If such literature was to appear, would you start to divide it: high literature - the one that doesn't use emoticons and low literature - the one that uses it (just like in the old times Wink )? Or maybe the standards would be opposite?

If you were to use it, when would you use it? Or would you replace all descriptions of emotions with emoticons? Where would be the limit?

Would you use it to express an idea?
E.g. I was thinking about writing some crazy urban futuristic novel where I'd use emoticons and abbreviations to express the degradation of communication and words in general (because, sadly, it's really happening). I mean, with this tempo, who knows what languages will look like in about 10-20 years from now. And didn't you ever say "lol" when talking to someone in person? I know I have. And I don't even use that abbreviation :/ How sad. Or OMG.

I think that's about it.
Again - looking forward to your answers Smile
No, guys Smile I'm not asking for your opinions on my story idea. I want to hear your answers on all those questions I asked. My idea was just an example so that you'd know what I mean.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 07:51 PM

You would have to be going for a specific effect. I personally wouldn't use emoticons in my writing unless my characters were texting each other and I was writing out what they'd texted, but your idea sounds like it has merit.

Ads

I'm not a professional but this is what I think:
I don't use emocons unless it's like a diary story, or someones texting someone else. And since you say your story will be a crazy futuristic novel, i would do like lol. But i wouldn't do emocons.

I think for any web or hobbyist publishing or website for kids it is fine, but as far as publishing professionally and even some fanzines, anything with emoticons would be rejected.

No, because that's encouraging the use of text-slang in literature... It's informal.

I suppose the potential for someone rationalizing this form of writing is probably just over the horizon. Right now I'm certain every publisher worth his reputation would balk at the idea of publishing something so ludicrous but one writer would have the perfect marketing plan with perhaps text messaging, facebook, myspace, blogs and im and bbm's to go with their product and suddenly a publisher might decide it is fresh, new, original and speaks to an entire generation that communicates this way.

Once you have one publisher doing it is a matter of sales if anyone else will jump on the band wagon.

Imagine getting a book in a series of texts on your kindle or other e-reader each day as a chapter at a time is texted to you... Why not use text talk. I'm sure readers of a certain market would find it novel and interesting. Isn't that what twitter is, sort of a journal like book of tweets for each person. Particularly stars and entertainers. If you lined up the information about a singers tweets before a concert or an interview wouldn't it read like a diary or journal and if you put all that on paper couldn't you by all rights end up with a book of sorts?

I personally hope I'm not part of that trend. I think some standards with writing should remain intact.
I've read a book where they communicated only by e-mail and though each chapter had a date and time stamp at the top it was otherwise just a series of letters as I've seen in other books, so why not eventually a book of communicating texts.

some times i wish i could use an emoticons in my book because sometimes you can't describe the persons feeling or reaction like in my book im writing i wanted to describe hatred and i just couldnt for some reson all i wanted to do was put on of those little angry face lol

I think using EMOTICONS in a written story/book are fine. Some traditionally publidhed authors like Lauren Marycle have already done it (I think she wrote the book "Ttfn" or something, and other stuff. One of her books is written completely in text lingo or with emoticons).

Plus the Japanese did all this YEARS AGO, like back in 2001 or something because this one guy published a cell phone novel (they have a name in Japanese but I forgot). Anyway, The cell phone novel was some kind of romance and became so popular that a MOVIE was made out of it, and it also became a hit film! Also, that cell novel spawned a whole series (like the Twlight or Vampire Academy 'series' for example but just for the cell phone). AND these cell novels were so popular they surpassed a lot of traditional books on the bestseller's lists. This is ALL TRUE because I looked this stuff up like a year ago. You can also Google 'Cell phone novels' and check out Wikipedia because it's there.

The only thing is I think it should be aimed at teens, you know, people who'd generally know the language you want to add into your story. Also, not TOO many people in general understand text language and emoticons so you won't get as many readers than you would with regular English (and written probably at a 2nd grade reading level as well since most people are 'claimed' to be semi-literate by researchers). Anyway, Good Luck!!

Hansel hushed his lover, telling her to quiet down or they'd surely be caught. "Alright," he said with such masculinity that she shuttered all over, "I'm going to dive down into the pond first then you follow." Hansel slowly pulled off his shirt to get ready.
Erin: Wink

Yeah, sorta ruins the whole story... just make them say "she smiled" or something like that.

Hope I made you laugh!

I would never ever even think to consider using emoticons in my writing.
I use them all the time online when I'm talking, I think they're super cute. Smile
But they have their place and in a novel is certainly not the place for them, and I would not read or write a novel containing them.