This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to get my brother's poems heard?
11-09-2012, 07:46 PM
How to get my brother's poems heard?
Okay, so my brother is a REALLY good poet. When he gets bored, he just posts a poem he thinks of on Facebook! So I wanted to do something nice for him and try to get them to be heard. So I was wondering if there was a way to get a Poet to see them or something? Or send the poems to someone professional. Please help or just give some advice! Thank you(:

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 07:54 PM

I don't know where you live, but...
I think, there must be magazines or compilation books in your country, where your brother could partake. Try to find it out )). Good luck!

Ads

11-09-2012, 07:54 PM

There are lots of magazines that publish poetry. The book "Poet's Market" (your local library might have a copy) has information about how to submit poems to many of those magazines. You can also find information at this site:

http://duotrope.com/index.aspx

You're sweet to be so supportive of your brother's writing, but you and he should brace yourselves for some of the harsh realities of the publishing world. The best poetry magazines get tons of submissions and publish only a tiny fraction of the poems that people send to them. If your brother is seriously interested in having his stuff published in reputable magazines, he should do a lot of reading. (And I mean a LOT. He should read at least 100 poems by published authors for every one poem that he writes himself.) The more good poetry he reads, the better his own writing will get, and the more he'll improve his chances of getting published.