This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it possible for an outsider to scan your internet history?
11-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Is it possible for an outsider to scan your internet history?
Long story short. I live with someone who works for a school district. I was told that the school monitors the home internet activity of it's employees...and that i should stay away from ANY questionable topics online or the person will lose their job. What I know of routers leads me to believe that this isn't possible unless your in the network. Can anyone help clarify? Is it possible for them to monitor the internet connection at our house and use that information to fire someone?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 08:04 PM

It is entirely possible for them to do this, but not entirely legal. Externally - no, they cannot do this.

Still, I would watch your social media accounts very carefully (facebook, etc.) as these are much easier to monitor from anywhere - privacy is a relative term online. Do not put compromising photos or messages on your wall or anywhere else. If you are using school property, like a school laptop, they would be able to check your internet history or your cache to determine where you went and what you saw.

It is amazing how much you can find on people just using a simple Google search as well - so keep your head up and obey the rules, but don't worry about them hacking your router and spying on you. That's pretty unlikely.

Ads

11-09-2012, 08:04 PM

More than likely the person is having their laptop history viewed. This laptop is issued by the school district and is their property so they have the right to look at what webpages have been viewed. So unless you use their laptop the chance of them is zero.