This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is the purpose of facebook, Twitter etc?
11-09-2012, 07:58 PM
What is the purpose of facebook, Twitter etc?
It's purposeless. I don't use any of these sites... I mean to me facebook is another way to invade millions of people's privacy. It also encourages narcissism and self-centeredness from the youth. What is the point?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 08:07 PM

It's a way for people to exercise their narcissism, voyeurism, and boredom.

The internet is the playground of the devil! Read your Bible!

Ads

The point is to socialize with people that you don't normally socialize with in everyday life, like friends from across the country or distant family members. Unfortunately middle-schoolers and high-schoolers and even some adults are using it for negative attention. But there's no getting rid of this type of online socialization. Welcome to the future.

I agree with you. I don't use any of those either. And a good number of my friends and family don't either.
I have a little profile on here, but it's relatively annonymous.

I do not want to live my life on the internet and I do not want people to know so much about me. What would we talk about in person if you've read everything already?

Basically what it has become is a way for people to feel important or famous in some way as they have people reading and commenting on the most mundane things in their life that normally most people could care less about. Once it is online, "friends" feel obligated to make a comment or click the like button which then gives the individual a little warm and fuzzy feeling so does it again in addition to giving the same feedback to someone else.

My purpose of Facebook is to play farmville, and I use Twitter to keep track on what my rugby team is doing as they post competitions and where they will be.

I don't give any personal info out and you would be able to set your settings to do the same if you wanted.

Well I agree with you about "Twitter". I really don't get that site either & think it's useless. FB is a little different though. Many people use FB as a means to keep in touch with family & friends that they probably wouldn't without it. Allot of people just use it to play free games. There are many reasons people use it, some good, some bad. There are so many people (not just kids) that want attention that they can't or don't know how to get in "the real world". They rack up tons of fake friends so it looks like they are popular & there's where the problem sets in & then they are on there 24/7 it seems. I have an account but only really use it for gaming when bored & can tell the "attention seekers" from the others. If I have a problem with someone I simply delete/block them, end of story....But if they shut it down tonight I really couldn't care less...some people live for it it seems...

While I agree to a point I also have family members from Louisiana to Fla.A cousin in Nevada,Texas Friends in Georgia I seldom play the games on FB don't give out personal information etc.

Antics, I agree with the last part of what you said. I have a facebook account. I joined it to get in touch with old friends. The sad thing is. After you befriend old friends on facebook. They never keep in touch. Or, like you said. They turn it into this self-centered page of theirs; along with their vain pictures. I keep wondering when will these sites become obsolete. To the point, where people get tired of it. And go back to going outside and getting a life.

Have you ever watched this documentary show called The Facebook Obsession? It is a true story. It talks about the downfalls of facebook. And how people have lost their jobs over facebook. I watched that show once. It is really shocking how we as society have gotten hooked on that in bad ways.

I use facebook to talk to friends that live where i don't and when i am at my house i can get help with some homework if I need the help.Other than that the is no purpose of facebook for me