This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
cancer patients,how did u stand strong to fight cancer in ur bodies?
11-09-2012, 08:02 PM
cancer patients,how did u stand strong to fight cancer in ur bodies?
I also wish to know what did cancer change in u emotionally?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 08:10 PM

I actually dislike battle and fighting metaphors where cancer is concerned. I didn’t fight my cancer, my medial team did, and they made a damn good job of it - I'm fit and well four years after diagnosis, with no sign of cancer at my last routine check up.

It’s conventional wisdom that ‘fighting’ is what cancer patients should do, and this will help overcome cancer. In fact this isn’t the case.

A report in the British Medical Journal (see link) exploded the theory that a 'fighting spirit' was associated with longer survival from cancer or that 'hopelessness and helplessness' meant poorer outcomes. The researchers analysed existing studies from1979 onwards; their conclusion was:

'There is little consistent evidence that psychological coping styles play an important part in survival from or recurrence of cancer. People with cancer should not feel pressured into adopting particular coping styles to improve survival or reduce the risk of recurrence.'

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/325/7372/1066

People with cancer are always urged to be and think positive, something that I hated. There is no evidence that a positive attitude affects the progress of cancer in any way, and in fact being urged to 'Be positive!' can make cancer patients feel guilty and more depressed because they just CAN'T be as positive as everyone is urging them to be.

Ads

I disagree with the first poster. I think a positive outlook is extremely important along with a great support system.

Knowing that you are important and loved really makes a difference in how you deal with the cancer emotionally and physically.

Emotionally, cancer made me appreciative of the life I have and of my faith in God.

Once I realized the importance of being here it made the hot flashes seem mediocre in comparison--LOL

It also helps to look cute when you're bald!

I have a HUGE respect for drag queens, now. All the trouble they go through--JEEZE!

Oh, and humor helps too Wink

I certainly wasn't immediately strong. I had to come to terms with what was happening. That took a while. Then I decided I would do what I could. When it came back as a stage IV, I was initially overwhelmed and again decided to do what I could. It changed me in seeing what was more important in life. People, your relationships mean the most.

Finding out I had breast cancer was frightening. I had the support of my family. They are the ones who took me for all my treatments. My daughter introduced me to Y-Me to help with the questions I had.I had alot of them. My faith got stronger I think because I was preparing myself. Everyday now I thank God for freinds, family, faith and Doctors who helped me. I can honestly say the word CANCER still frightens me. It has been close to 15 years now. Everyday is a BLESSING.

god bless all of you guys

There were many changes that occurred in my life when I was first diagnosed ranging from complete desperation and hopelessness when I was told that it was inoperable to total euphoria and happiness when I was advised that it could be treated with chemo.
Everyone handles things differently and as with the first response, one shouldn't get caught up as to how you should be feeling or acting. Although, I'm sure having a bit of a positive outlook certainly helps, if not physically certainly emotionally. It is naturally that you go through extreme ups and downs, in fact the whole process is one amazing roller coaster ride!
But for me, being a generally positive person, I tended to focus on the benefits or the good side of things as I believe there is an even balance through out all of lifs experiences. For example the following bad things from the experience also had great benefits;
1. Medical Expenses - Enable a great accumulation of reward points on my Mastercard
2. Chemo - Didn't have to shave or spend money on hair products.
3. Unable to work - Stayed at home and spent more time with the family.
And the list goes on.....

Secondly, once all the initial emotions were put to one side it all became very mechanical and easier to handle by breaking my treatment (journey) into small manageable steps. Just taking things a day at a time as anything more would have been too daunting.

Anyway, I am now in remission less than a year after completing all treatment and although it is always on my mind I am managing to return to some form of normality. My outlook on life and what is important has changed greatly and for that I am greatful.

All the best;

I think a positive attitude is essential. There are many different cancers and many different prognosis and many treatment options. You DO have to Fight cancer, at the very least in the respect that you have to follow doctors orders. I was always a very optimistic person, but there were days I didn't know if I could go on. I will never be the same. There is life after cancer, but in my case it is much more diminished than the life before. Without the will to stay the course with the treatment and "fight" the cancer, I wouldn't be here.

being positive about your situation helps, you are going to have your good days and then days that you just wish it was over. its only human. as far as myself, i had to make my self go and i still do, i feel if you just give up you will let this disease take you over. a positive mental attitude will make you feel better about your self and keep you going. before i came down with cancer i worked 3 jobs, now i only work 1 part time. it makes your out look on life change tremendously, things that i though were a necessity are no longer. my grandchild and i spend so much more time together. i was raised to work, work, and more work. it has slowed my life down considerably. i realized there was so much out here that i was missing. i may not die today and i may not die next month but, im going to keep on going until its my time to go. im not letting this disease get me without a fight.

I'll answer your question with a post I made on Facebook.

"My mother was diagnosed with a late stage of Hodgkin's Lymphoma at age 16. That was almost 40 years ago, and she was cured despite the lack of knowledge in the field at the time. All she ever had to do was have faith. Once she had faith her symptoms would fade, her attitude would improve and her strength would increase.

In 2003, she had a very stressful year and was on the brink of depression. Unfortunately, she was diagnosed with breast cancer that same year. Once she got the news, her attitude changed completely. Incredibly, she was cured within two years and has been in remission ever since.

A couple of years ago, a very close uncle of mine was diagnosed with cancer, only this time it was rare strain of Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma; his prognosis was no longer than five years. At first, he was very positive, as he had taken the example from his big sister. He had few symptoms but did not take care of his diet or disinfect his hands often, and had frequent fevers and side-effects. I saw his attitude deteriorate into a state of hopelessness, and within a week, he was back in the hospital with numerous complications. Mind you, this was during Canadian winter, and my uncle is an Arab. (we don't like the cold much) The family quickly noticed his state and forced him to stay positive, and keep having faith in himself and his doctors. A couple of weeks ago, against all odds ( in what I call a medical miracle) he was fully cured, with no apparent evidence of malignant cells.

Finally, I'll talk about myself. I was diagnosed earlier last year with the same case of Hodgkin's as my mother. Some people saw this as a curse, I saw it as an opportunity to test this little "attitude" theory. I maintained a positive attitude throughout treatment, promised myself I'd be better in no time, and what do you know. I've been cancer free for two months now (naturally) and am currently getting back into shape.

A few months ago, an aunt of mine passed away. Having heard the news, her father lost all hope in life and, within a week, had passed away as well. This just goes to show how much of a difference the simple act of being positive can affect you. PLEASE consider this little anecdote when you go to treatment. Don't ever lose hope. Eat well, have fun, and maintain good relationships with family and friends. And most importantly, have FAITH. You can pray, you can ask your friends for encouragement and entertainment, you can do anything you damn well please as long as you have FAITH in your outcome. As an individual who relies solely on science and fact, I am the last person who would say this, but I urge you to at least try. That's all I can ask."

As for what cancer changed in me emotionally, as cheesy as this sounds I look at life differently. I'm more positive about everything because I know that it really does explicitly affect my health. Happier people live longer lives. I think everyone should live by that example.