This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How often should you contact your college student?
11-09-2012, 08:02 PM
How often should you contact your college student?
My oldest just left to go to school 2 states away. I was a little bummed to find out she's beeing keeping up with friends on facebook/myspace/text but couldnt answer my email. I do work 50 hours a week, plus we have a busy life otherwise but it would be nice to hear from her. Do I let totally go and contact her eventually? It sad because we seemed close before she left but now ....

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 08:10 PM

Have you tried her facebook, myspace and text to communicate? Everyone doesnt check emails on a regular basis.

Ads

She's probably just adjusting to campus life & being on her own. After a couple of weeks, she'll probably start to get homesick. I think a weekly phone call would be sufficient. A phone call is more personal than e-mail since you will both get to hear the sound of each others voices.

she's probably not ignoring you, im a 21 year old guy in college and my mom/dad call me probably once every week or maybe 2 weeks. I'm glad they dont go through facebook, my mom will email me sometimes and i'll usually email back but it's not the way i communicate, with my parents it's always through the phone, and for the average college guy, im probably pretty close to my parents

keep in mind that she's probably really busy with meeting people and classes, don't take it personally, i dont know how your relationship is though, my parents know i love them and i let them know it, anyway, there's my 2 cents

Contact her through face book if she is anything like my kids they are so wrapped up in chatting on line they never get to their e-mails. Either IM her or join her on face book.
Lisa

I'd say its called empty house syndrome.. I am not a parent but I know that when i left home, my mom more than likely missed me on a day to day bases.. As time goes on, it hopefully will get better for you.. keep emailing her sooner or later she'll email you back or talk to her on the facebook and the other places you mentioned..

Call her every night at 11:30 pm to check on her and see if she sleeps there with no boys around. Make sure. Make sure. Or, make her to transfer back to a community college nearby and stay home for another two years so you can keep your eyes on her closely. Just don't let go, ok? Hear what I said? Huh? Two states away is too far away. Tell her to move back home asap to relieve you from all that much misery. Sorry for your suffering and can't let go. Your daughter should stay home and not going so far away. She is very very wrong to go away, even for schooling.

She's just adjusting to her new freedom lol.When I went away to school last year at the end of August I would get emails from my parents (mainly my mother). I would respond to her because I knew if she didn't hear from me she'd worry lol. When I'm away at school she always sends me an email in the morning before she goes to work and again after work and then again before she went to bed hahaha. At first when I went away I would only respond once a day and there were probably a day or two where I would forget and then she'd send me an email on how she didn't like it when I wouldn't respond because she was worried and because I was in around boston a lot. She would also call me but I'm not much a talker on the phone but would still talk anyway. But as the first semester was almost halfway over I sent emails more than once a day usually twice if I didn't forget and once in awhile I would call to make her feel better. Second semester was the same but I transferred schools so I think I might have called a little more than usual and still sent emails. My mom would also start sending those e-cards.. lol. As much as I hate it I still like it. And as much as I got annoyed with all the emails when I went away to school I would be bummed if she only sent one email. So just give it time and like I said she's just enjoying her new freedom the whole college life and meeting new friends. If it bothers you tell her how you feel about how you would like it if you heard from her more. I hope this helped I know it's kinda long lol =). Oh and don't go getting a facebook or myspace or anything like that that would be weird.